Thread: Visitor visa or Partnership visitor visa for Chinese Wife's 5 month stay

Default Visitor visa or Partnership visitor visa for Chinese Wife's 5 month stay

My wife is Chinese and has studied in NZ for around 2~3 years. We are currently overseas and we want to go back for 5 months or so. I will work, she will be a house wife and visit my family.

Can we just apply for a normal visitor visa as it is a lot easier and can now be done online? Or do we need to apply for the partnership visitor visa?

Problem is I was a sponser for a ex partners residence approx 4 years and 6 months ago.

Also, she has enough money but cannot get a bank statement as we are not in China. Would it hurt our application if we just use one of my parents as a sponser?

Thank you

You cannot sponsor anyone else for any partner visa until 5 years after the last one. It looks as though a visitor visa is the only option. Read the INZ website on the subject of sponsorship - it is probably more than you mean to ask from your father, so check before you use the word to INZ.

Exclamation

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

The INZ website says that 4 years is fine for the partnership visitor visa whereas it requires a 5 year 'standdown' for the other two. My mother has read the form and is happy to act as sponser, as the wife has plenty of money and the two are very close.

I'm mainly worried that if we apply for a general visitor visa and then try to change to a partner work it could be looked at poorly?

Excuse me, you're wrong about the timing. See here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...BR&applying=no under the heading Your partner's support.

People always have the issue of what is, or is not, a bona fide visitor. I don't think there is a 'good' answer that works for everybody. However, since she is already your wife, there isn't the reason available which some people put forward to INZ for the change, that the relationship had developed of recent times. I know some advisers (and members of the public) say to tell the truth straight out, come what may, but there is the drawback that there are many people who have honestly done this, and had their spouse refused a visa on the grounds of not being a bona fide visitor.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...HN&applying=no

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was meaning 4 years for the visitor partner visa not for the work partner visa.

Gotya, it seems they could deny her a regular tourist visa as she doesn't have the intention of leaving NZ. I might try make the arguement that we haven't decided if we will stay after the 5 months and that if she finds a suitable job while in NZ our plans may change (true points). ~ then apply for work partnership visa in NZ

Thanks a lot for all the advice on the site, it's a great help.
    Last edited by Russianolly; 6th October 2016 at 05:40 AM.