Thread: confusing timeline for NZ citizenship

Default confusing timeline for NZ citizenship

Hey Guys,

This question has probably come up heaps before but even after being on the DIA website I'm still confused as to when I can apply for NZ citizenship...

I'm guessing it is 5 years from when you were granted your residence visa BUT... this first para seems to contradict this on the citizenship form:

To be eligible for a grant of citizenship, you must meet the following criteria*:
    ► you are entitled to reside indefinitely in New Zealand; AND you have been present in New Zealand:
    • for at least 1,350 days with New Zealand residence during the 5 years immediately before you make
    your application; and

to me this reads that 1. you are currently a perm resident in NZ and 2. you have been present in NZ for 1350 days (some 3.8 years) since you arrived in NZ with NZ residence status?????

which is not 5 years with NZ residence status..... this is what confuses me

can anyone help me with my confused thoughts?

cheers

Paul

It has to be 5 years since you got Residence, and out of those five years, you must have spent at least 1,350 days in the country.

As we deliberately didn't leave New Zealand in our last year before applying for citizenship, then we applied for citizenship after four years and about eight months... Had my ceremony and got my NZ passport before the five years were up.

About size weeks before your 4 years & 8 months is up, phone and book a meeting with DIA to hand over the paperwork and get them to witness any documents. As the meeting they will double check using their own calculations and if the paperwork is in order they will accept it. They will even accept the paperwork if it is in order but you're a couple of week early as they will add to their systems when its matures.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It has to be 5 years since you got Residence, and out of those five years, you must have spent at least 1,350 days in the country.
    ohh. its long process

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post
    As we deliberately didn't leave New Zealand in our last year before applying for citizenship, then we applied for citizenship after four years and about eight months... Had my ceremony and got my NZ passport before the five years were up.

About size weeks before your 4 years & 8 months is up, phone and book a meeting with DIA to hand over the paperwork and get them to witness any documents. As the meeting they will double check using their own calculations and if the paperwork is in order they will accept it. They will even accept the paperwork if it is in order but you're a couple of week early as they will add to their systems when its matures.

Good luck!
    So it's 5 years from getting residency right? What if I came on a work visa then got my residence, can I count the time on my work visa as part of the 5 year requirement?

It is 5 years from permanent residency. It is a very long process, to the best of my understanding time on a work visa and normal residency does not count.

Quote Originally Posted by David12345 View Post
    So it's 5 years from getting residency right? What if I came on a work visa then got my residence, can I count the time on my work visa as part of the 5 year requirement?
    It's five years after getting residence (not PR), with the authorities counting a bit of leeway for the actual application, as rogercruse described, and/but time on a work visa doesn't count.

The part about "entitled to reside indefinitely in New Zealand" often confuses people, but it's all right - Residence itself is the right to live and work in NZ for ever, while you are in NZ. It would only lapse if you were outside the country with expired travel conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It's five years after getting residence (not PR), with the authorities counting a bit of leeway for the actual application, as rogercruse described, and/but time on a work visa doesn't count.

The part about "entitled to reside indefinitely in New Zealand" often confuses people, but it's all right - Residence itself is the right to live and work in NZ for ever, while you are in NZ. It would only lapse if you were outside the country with expired travel conditions.
    Thanks J&M, I can understand people thinking "entitled to reside indefinitely in New Zealand" means PR, it would be an easy mistake to make. That said I will remember that normal residence is regarded as "entitled to reside indefinitely in New Zealand"