Thread: Update 5 years in

Red face Update 5 years in

Just a quick update as I just realised we have been here just over 5 years. From UK to US for 20 yrs and then to NZ with a 4 and 6 yr old it has been quite an adventure. Fast forward 5 yrs and we have rented a freezing cold rental, bought a small state house for 18 mths (warm house) and then rented a freezing 1970's house in the country..pool etc..whilst we built. We decided the only way to own a warm dry house was to build. We built about 18 mths ago on a small lifestyle block, and now have cows and 2 new Labrador puppies, as sadly our 14 yr lab passed away last yr. Loving our new house and the central heating we put in.

Building here was very different to building in the US and often had some interesting miscommunications with our kiwi builder but it all worked out in the end. I have changed jobs a couple of times from Emergency dept nursing to community and now finally settled in Anaesthetic clinic. Better hrs, 4 days per week and home every night with the family.

Kids started at a local primary school but my older boy did not get on there so well so after 3 yrs we moved him and a year later his brother, to another primary school. Much better and a lot more settled. Mr 11 off to middle school next yr and Mr 10 1 more year. Kids have lost their US accents and sound like regular kiwis.

Hubby has been promoted and seems to have found his niche with the same company for the past 5 yrs. Like myself, a lot of adjusting but gradually getting more settled.

We have done some travelling around N Island, down to Welly, up to Coromandel and to Australia. Regular trips to the beach and other local attractions. Rotorua remains one of the kids favourite. Lots of walks in the bush and mountain bike tracks in the summer.1 trip back to the UK(first time ever for the kids) and mixed reactions. TOO busy!!!!!

I have started getting into road biking and have a few adventure type events coming up. Hubby has done gym and rowing recently. We have also been busy as a family working up our lifestyle block.

Kids are so active compared to the US and have tried judo, cricket, swimming, BMX, horse-riding, cycling, Kapa Haka, miniball etc. Hockey and soccer are our staple winter sports, and looking forward to trying Tennis and Touch this summer.

I have watched (with fear and amusement) the US presidential Election run up, and that, along with the multiple shootings, have reaffirmed that we made the right decision to leave the US.

We are applying for citizenship at present and cannot believe 5 yrs has gone so quickly.

Generally we are happy we have made the right decision and really happy where we live in the Waikato. Now is someone could turn off the rain and turn on Spring...

Thanks for the update. It's great to hear how things are working out for you.

Thank you for the nice update. Things appeared to have worked out well.

Thank you for the update, I'm glad things have worked out well for you.
    Our journey will to start on this Nov, hopefully we'll have all the nice thing that you have experienced.

Hi Hagabel

Glad all has turned out well for you. It is so good to hear from people that we're going through the immigration fun at the same time as us.

Great post, funny about temperature being the main characteristic of your houses, but I believe it! When we visited in 2007 we checked out some open houses, even high end ones had no double glazing as I'm sure you're painfully aware...I'm a temperature wimp so this is going to be one of the sacrifices :-P Well worth it though.

alwayscold.jpg

Cool to hear about the biking and activity level in general, just this year I've started mountain biking with hubby, something I hadn't tried since my teens and it is so much better with a nice grown-up fancy bike. The second hand market in Santa Cruz is amazing, so we'll have to be sure and remember to bring ones for our kids to grow into 8-) They are currently 6 and 8, hopefully they'll adapt as well as yours in the long term.

So pleased to read your update! Good luck with the citizenship: a friend of mine booked an appointment to apply in-person (here in Auckland). Everything was verified and copies made of his documents and less than a month later he got his letter inviting him to swear his oath mid-December. I will definitely follow his path when I can apply next June or July.

I escaped the US for Canada back before it was "kewl" (in 1989). Ending up in NZ is a surprise, and mostly a lovely one. My roots are getting deeper.

Hello Hagabel,

Thank you for your success post. It gives me hope as I am in the early process of researching on NZ immigration. It shows that through hard work and determination, it can be possible!

It is totally worth it. We are now NZ Citizens (officially!) and looking forward to getting our passports..

Thank you for this update! We moved to NZ not so long ago and hope we'll have a good time too. I agree with you, it's a very sporty place and our kids are so outdoorsy compared to back home.
    For the time being we love it!