Thread: NZ skilled worker visa application questions

Default NZ skilled worker visa application questions

Hi All,

I'm in the process of gathering information regarding the EOI points calculation and I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to clear up few things.

My info:

Occupation - Computer Network Engineer
    Work experience (in the UK) - 3 years - 10 points
    Bonus points for work experience in an identified future growth area - 2 years - 10 points
    Bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage - 2 years - 10 points
    Qualifications - Master's degree(MSc from a university in the UK) - 60 points
    Bonus points for a qualification in an identified future growth area - 10 points
    Bonus points for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage - 10 points
    Partner/spouse holds a level 7 qualification or higher (Master's degree from a university in the UK) - 20 points

Total points - 160 ?

We've both passed the IELTS exam with 7+ in each section as well.

My questions are as follows:

Even though Computer Networking is in both identified future growth area and absolute skills shortage, can I actually claim the bonus points for work experience and qualifications for those two?

I have a skills assessment verification from the Australian Computer Society(ACS) can I use that for NZ as well or do I have to go for a skills assessment with the appropriate NZ association and would I need that at all?

Regarding the work experience points - can I actually claim the 2 years from my overall work experience or do I have to first get a skills assessment from NZ and would my work experience be counted only after the deduction from the skills assessment(for example for ACS, they used the first 2 years of my work experience for the application and I can use only the experience that I have after that - e.g. even though I have a total of 3 years of experience I can, technically in respect to the AU visa I have only 1 year and thus cannot claim any points for experience, is that the same for NZ as well?

Will my spouse have to get a skills assessment first in order to claim the bonus points from her?

I will really appreciate if a knowledgeable person in this area answers these questions.

Thanks

Daniel

Even though Computer Networking is in both identified future growth area and absolute skills shortage, can I actually claim the bonus points for work experience and qualifications for those two?
    No, you can't claim both lots of bonus points. IFGA is for if you have a skilled job or the offer of one, in New Zealand, and AASS is for people without a job offer.

I have a skills assessment verification from the Australian Computer Society(ACS) can I use that for NZ as well or do I have to go for a skills assessment with the appropriate NZ association and would I need that at all?
    This won't count in NZ, and, being a computer engineer, you'll find that you not only need to get your university qualifications assessed by NZQA (get the IQA, both qualifications on one assessment), but you'll also need to get assessed by IPENZ, to see if you can claim your bonus points.

About your work experience, all that from Australia is totally unlike the NZ requirements. If you have work experience from after you got your university qualifications, it will all count.

For your wife's degree to count for points, it either has to appear on the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment, or will need to be assessed by NZQA.

You may find this useful. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...anual/6954.htm You will find all the detailed requirements for being able to claim points under the various headings.