Thread: Work Visa through Family Stream- Break up and informing Immigration

Default Work Visa through Family Stream- Break up and informing Immigration

Hi, I was wondering if I could get a little bit of advice on potential repercussions from not informing immigration of a break up.

I am currently on a two year work visa sponsored though my relationship with a Kiwi Citizen. We have been going through some difficulties and have broken up. We have move out of your shared apartment and I am returning to the UK within the next couple of weeks.

We are over for the moment but feel that perhaps we may be able to try again in the future. My ex has asked me not to inform Immigration, I believe this may be to keep things open for any potential reunion. However I am concerned that immigration may find out we are no longer living together and that I am in the UK. I plan on returning to NZ in the future to gain residency, however it will be through having a skill instead of through a relationship.

My questions are:-

1. Should I inform immigration of our break up... even if I have left the country and will not be returning on the visa.

2. If I don't, could it damage potential future applications even if they are not through the family stream.

3. If I was to inform immigration of the break up some months away from now, stating that I had to return to the UK to take some courses etc. Would that be accepted or am I meant to spend my whole visa period in same house as my partner.

I do understand that if I was to pursue any further applications through my relationship that this would all have a large affect on them however I plan on returning an applying for a visa off my own back, therefore this relationship should not have any thing to do with it. I'm mainly worried about how immigration may view me for future applications if I have not informed them immediately of any changes in circumstances.

Thanks for the help.

Ollie
    Last edited by olliebodd; 8th October 2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling

INZ are not the relationship police. They do not expect to monitor a migrant's private life day by day. Your option (3) would be accepted without difficulty, if that's what you decided to do.

Applying for a visa on the grounds of being in a live-in relationship means having to prove that the couple are living together BEFORE the application and during processing, not afterwards. The fact that you have moved out now would only have a bearing on your visa situation if in the near future you tried to apply for partner-sponsored residence because of your 'live-in' relationship with this same partner, when you're not, and haven't been lately, actually living with her.

Once again, Thank you JandM for your quick and informed advice.

That has put my mind at rest.

I am very grateful for all the help you have given me on my posts. Thank you.