Thread: Residency under SMC Accountants

Default Residency under SMC Accountants

Hi all,

I lodged an application for Residency under 121111 a month ago and my CO has sent me a letter saying that I have to have a license or registration from the accounting body (CAANZ) and I do not perform all the core tasks of the category that I applied under. He has given me a couple of weeks to provide my side of justification as to why I am not registered and why my company hires an external accountant. My job description covers all the core tasks and I prepare all the financials but it is lodged by the external accountant because i am fairly new with the company and they wanted an external accountant to kind of double check the accounts.

However, I checked the operation manual and accountants do not require any licensing as per SM19.5. So, I don't really know what to do. I have completed Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting and i a Bachelors in Business degree from overseas. I am working towards my Chartered Accountancy degree but my company has a policy of having internal and external accountants. As per my employer, he attached all the reports that were prepared by me with the questionnaire along with the duties that i perform, which is more than the core tasks listed by ANZSCO. I just feel that my CO is going to decline my application because he has worded the letter very strongly.

Any suggestions or personal experiences?

I think you need to ask an opinion on the detail of how you should reply to this from ChrisMwn, who is an LIA who posts on the threads here. You're quite right that 'Accountant' isn't mentioned at SM19.5 as requiring registration, so that's one thing you can point out.

What visa are you on at the moment?

Incidentally, I presume you mean ANZSCO 221111.

Hi There,

It is next to implosible for someone to perform all tasks listed under ANZSCO 221111. Registration is required if you are doing Audit !! In your case it seems like its been done by external accountant.... I have no idea why thay make an issue if you have an external accountant who does just the filing part..

How many task from ANZSCO 221111 are confirmed by your employer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tax Accountant View Post
    Hi There,

It is next to implosible for someone to perform all tasks listed under ANZSCO 221111. Registration is required if you are doing Audit !! In your case it seems like its been done by external accountant.... I have no idea why thay make an issue if you have an external accountant who does just the filing part..

How many task from ANZSCO 221111 are confirmed by your employer ?
    what there needs to be is a substantial match between the role and ANZSCO. Only if you are employed as a Chartered Accountant do you need registration.