Thread: How to how? (sole trader x company)

Unhappy How to how? (sole trader x company)

Hey team,

Been lurking here a while now, first post.

I'm having a lot of difficulty finding information on this and customs keep telling me to call a broker.

I'm wanting to set up a side business doing electronics \ cellphone repairs.

I'm unsure if I should be a sole trader or a company
    I don't plan on doing 60K worth of sales in a year however I already have a job earning 55K annual which I don't plan on leaving.

I plan on doing repairs and import parts to use and on sell too./

The only problem is that I can't really figure out how much I'd need to pay to import these myself.
    The whatsmyduty.org is only providing an "approximate" cost and for consumer figures only.

Any help tailored to my situation would be appreciated! Or even links to information that would be helpful to me.
    Anything really would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Not best person to advise on it but probably try importing one part and see how it goes?

Go for sole trader to start with. It's really easy and doesn't cost anything. Just be aware you are personally liable for any errors. For example - if you made a repair and broke someone's device they could take you personally to the disputes tribunal. If it was a company it would be the company in dispute.

Normally not a big deal unless you are talking big bucks.

As for import duties it really only gets interesting if you import more than $400 worth at once - if it's less than that then dont worry. I seem to remember there is an 'import bible' that has all the import codes for items and subsequent duty cost. And yea - a broker would have access to one of those.

From memory I've got a spare copy of the NZ importers handbook(diff to the bible). Drop me an email at [Edited to remove email address in line with Forum Rule 10. nigee, make five posts on any thread, then you will be able to use the site's PMing system, after it automatically switches on after about 20 minutes from your fifth post.] and I'll send you some more info.

Just make a start on your biz. Have faith you will figure it out as you go.
    Last edited by JandM; 16th October 2016 at 07:33 PM.