Thread: Possible Hypertension - Additional tests required

Default Possible Hypertension - Additional tests required

Hi there,

When I did my medical back in July everything seemed fine except my blood pressure readings. My readings were around 130/90 and as I spoke to the doctors the first doctor said it was a little high but nothing to be worried about and the second doctor asked me if I smoked (which I have never done). When I asked the second doctor what I should do, he just said reduce your salt. My medical was submitted and referred a couple of months ago and now I have just received a letter saying that I have possible high blood pressure and that I need to do all the blood and urine tests again. They also want to rule out any drug and alcohol misuse.

I live a relatively healthy lifestyle - I'm young, have an optimum BMI, eat well (occasionally enjoying a takeaway and maybe a few drinks at the weekend) and do plenty of exercise (aim for an hour each day).

My concern (and I know I shouldn't worry) is what if I go back to the doctor and I get a similar reading? I really do not like having my BP taken which does not help. INZ have made it clear that it's not an acceptable standard of health however. I only have a short amount of time before I have to see the doctor again and time is of the essence. Is there anything the doctor can say in their report referring to what I've stated above and that whilst it is elevated it should just be monitored regularly to keep it in check and that I'm aware that I should reduce it? At the moment, I'm only applying for a WHV extension and then after that applying for a partnership visa based on my girlfriend's work visa which is only valid until Sep 2017. My employer also is keen to keep me on but I can only work a couple more weeks with my visa restrictions. I understand that the MAs can't pass anyone until they are satisfied and for them high BP should not be taken lightly at all but it feels extreme when I probably won't be staying in NZ for another whole year and having read previous posts, others have had theirs passed with substantially higher readings.

In the meantime I guess I will just have to try and relax and eliminate anything that may elevate it before my next GP visit.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and welcome any thoughts/suggestions.

Tell the doctor that takes the test that you fear the test. They can sometimes arrange to do several tests over a period of time so you have a chance to calm down in the situation, and they can report back that you have said so - it's a well-known phenomenon. Also, make sure that you don't do anything extreme in the few days before the tests, e.g. intense exercise, eating a celebration dinner, an evening out with a lot of alcohol, as such things can show up in test results over several days later.

Thanks JandM, appreciate your thoughts.

I requested the complete medical details from the previous panel physician and all the other blood tests were perfectly healthy. Still the MA wants these redone also.

Seeing the GP tomorrow - will see from there. So many hoops to jump through just to stay less than a year longer but should be able to put together a report/plan with my GP .to INZ showing I don't pose a risk to the health system. The lengthier turnaround times at the moment do not help either.