Thread: USA Working Holiday Visa

Default USA Working Holiday Visa

Hi everyone,

Hope you can give me some advice. I met someone online who has decided to come to NZ for 12 months on a USA Working Holiday Visa to be with me (we have never met before). I've got a couple of questions:

- Is it okay to come to NZ on a USA Working Holiday Visa to intend on starting a relationship? Does it make it less bona fide?
    - The fact that we intended on doing this affect any further applications going forward?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Also, is a return ticket back to the US mandatory? Under the 'onward travel' section?

If your friend puts in for the WHV, that person isn't going to be asked questions about the reasons for their visit in quite the same detail that someone on a visitor's visa would be. By definition, they're going to be on holiday, with the option of doing some work to support themself. INZ are not the thought police, or crystal ball users. The fact of meeting/staying with an internet-met friend is a reason for going to a particular place within the country, and knowing all about that area in advance, for tourist activities, and places to visit. For official purposes, leave it at that at the outset. If you find that all works out as you hope, and the chemistry is there when you meet in person, it's only at that point that you determine to apply for the necessary partnership visa - that's the first point at which INZ need to be aware of a relationship. (It can equally well happen, and often does, that someone with no prior internet connection might meet a partner while on a WHV, and causes no surprise.)

Onward travel does not have to mean return to the home country. It can equally well mean travel to any other country where the person has right of entry.