Thread: Masters Degree VS Bachelors Degree IQA

Question Masters Degree VS Bachelors Degree IQA

Hello,

I'm starting my EOI process. My university isn't on the list for exemption, which leaves me having my qualifications reviewed.

From reading other people's posts, including JamdM, it seems like applying for the PAR is a waste of money and time. I should skip that and just apply for the IQA from the start. Is that correct?

My main question is regarding my level of qualification. I have both a master's and a bachelor's degree. Both are in business management. Is there any particular reason to send one or the other for the IQA? It doesn't make a big difference for my points. Is the master's degree more difficult to prove?

I've heard it said before that you should only really claim as many points as it takes for you to reach the point quota. Any comments regarding that?

Thank you everybody for all your help in this process!

just apply for the IQA from the start. Is that correct?
    Yes.

Send both your degrees for IQA. They do up to five qualifications at once for one person for no extra fee.

Your master's will probably get you the higher score under the basic 'qualifications' heading, but it's the bachelor's degree that will need to match up if you need to claim bonus points for qualifications and work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage.

I've heard it said before that you should only really claim as many points as it takes for you to reach the point quota. Any comments regarding that?
    Absolutely right. But have you seen that the minimum points level has recently been raised? https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...anges/nzrp-smc

Yes JandM,

Thanks for your input! It's always appreciated.

I don't intend to claim bonus points for anything in skills shortage.

I have seen the new points threshold. Based on the Points Indicator, I am able to collect 170 points with my bachelor's degree and job offer (along with other things).

Is it still the case that it's taking 6-9 weeks for the IQA to come through? If that's the case, how long will a IQA be considered "current". If I am not submitting my EOI for a few months, should I wait for the IQA?

Thank you!

Also, Are they still accepting EOI's below 160 IF they have a job offer, or is that old window of 100-140 not a thing anymore?

Thanks!

The boundary is 160 points for EVERYBODY. There is no longer any concession for those having a job offer.

I think IQAs are still taking about that long, yes.

Are you aware of any time restrictions on the IQAs? I know the police check and the Immigration Medical Exam have a limited amount of time they are valid. Is there any period of time that an IQA would be valid. I don't see why it would because a qualification shouldn't change like your health or police standing may change.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

I asked this question of INZ a while ago, and they said at that time that they accepted IQAs unless they were past any validity date printed on them, and some have such a date but some don't.

The NZ Level given to a foreign qualification can't change, but any statement that it is comparable to, for instance, a NZ bachelor's degree in (whatever) can lapse, if the NZ institution that was teaching a particular course with similar content leading to that qualification substantially altered their course content, or stopped providing the course any longer.

Ah, yes. Thank you very much. I'll be starting this IQA process today.

Cheers!