Thread: I'm going to be reloating to NZ with my company. I want to educate myself on day to day life in NZ. Grocery stores, coupons, etc...

Red face I'm going to be reloating to NZ with my company. I want to educate myself on day to day life in NZ. Grocery stores, coupons, etc...

I want to educate myself on all the daily life things in NZ before I relocate.
    - Do grocery stores take coupons there? Are there delivery services?
    - I'll need to buy all new furniture, any recommendations?
    - My job will be in Wellington, what's a good area to live in for a non-driver?

So many questions, I'm sure I'll have more as I learn things...

Thank you for your time

Hello.

For a start, could you explain what the coupons do, that you are asking about?

Lesson One: NZ English isn't all the same as US English!

Do a "Google" search of Wellington, I'm sure you'll find an answer to many of your questions,

Good to know. Here the newspapers have an insert once a week that's full of coupons. Coupons are usually from the manufacturer of the product and are for money off a particular item. For example: $1.00 off a bag of a particular brand of dog food. If you use enough coupons you can save significantly on your purchases. I'm wondering if that's something that NZ grocers/manufacturers do

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello.

For a start, could you explain what the coupons do, that you are asking about?

Lesson One: NZ English isn't all the same as US English!

Yes, I've been searching all sorts of information about Wellington. Certain questions don't seem to have answers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    Do a "Google" search of Wellington, I'm sure you'll find an answer to many of your questions,

Quote Originally Posted by StolenByFairies View Post
    I want to educate myself on all the daily life things in NZ before I relocate.
    - Do grocery stores take coupons there? Are there delivery services?
    - I'll need to buy all new furniture, any recommendations?
    - My job will be in Wellington, what's a good area to live in for a non-driver?

So many questions, I'm sure I'll have more as I learn things...

Thank you for your time
    Do grocery stores take coupons there? Are there delivery services?

have a look at www.countdown.co.nz. A supermarket chain that has an online service and a delivery service. Will give you an idea of prices.,

I'll need to buy all new furniture, any recommendations?

have a look at www.harveynorman.co.nz or www.noelleeming.co.nz, or for second hand www.trademe.co.nz

My job will be in Wellington, what's a good area to live in for a non-driver?

Wellington unlike other cities has great public transport.
    Where you live will very much depend on what you want to pay.
    see www.metlink.co.nz, for transport and www.trademeproperty.co.nz for rentals and houses to buy.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 19th October 2016 at 04:25 PM.

I appreciate all of the help
    Last edited by StolenByFairies; 19th October 2016 at 04:41 PM.

Thank you so much for all the information!

Quote Originally Posted by StolenByFairies View Post
    Good to know. Here the newspapers have an insert once a week that's full of coupons. Coupons are usually from the manufacturer of the product and are for money off a particular item. For example: $1.00 off a bag of a particular brand of dog food. If you use enough coupons you can save significantly on your purchases. I'm wondering if that's something that NZ grocers/manufacturers do
    That's not so routinely done in NZ newspapers, although you can get money-off vouchers from various sources. What IS done is a regular run of 'specials' in supermarkets. They rotate which brands are 'on special', so most people stock up on their favourites when it's their turn for the low pricing, so they don't need to buy that item again till its next turn. Also, other supermarkets may have what you're looking for on special when your local one doesn't, so it's worth a look if you get caught out.

It's not only supermarkets that run specials. When you are looking to buy furniture, or appliances, or almost anything, watch for your preferred models to be reduced, because it will be happening somewhere, soon. Also, NZ is a haggling culture. Nobody is offended if you ask, 'Is that your best price? What is the best price you can do me?' and there are often really significant savings to be made, just for taking your time and looking thoughtful over the decision. (I don't mean in supermarkets or similar, but when paying for larger items, or services.) It can be useful to take a NZ colleague or neighbour along for your first purchases - some traders realize that new arrivals aren't up with the system so they try to get away with a price that no local would accept.

And many independent shops, or stalls in the market, are a cheaper place to buy certain kinds of food than a supermarket. I'm thinking fruit and vegetables, meat and fish, animal food, rice and spices... And the quality is usually better, too. Ask around. Colleagues and neighbours will have found useful places to know.

Hi

As far as were to live as a non driver, here is the Transport website, you just put in the address of place you think you might like to live in and see how far you are from a transport stop and how long it will take you to get where you are going https://www.metlink.org.nz/ or if you can get somewhere close to where you are working, which I presume will be CBD, you could walk from: Aro Valley, Oriental Bay, Thorndon and Mt Victoria.

As others have said we don't have coupons anymore, the main supermarkets, ( New World, Pak n Save and Countdown) have weekly specials which are normally advertised on their websites. Both New World and Countdown also have their own cards (that you apply for instore), which have extra discounts. The backs of the supermarket receipts do however have coupons, mainly for activities, accommodation etc. Pak n Save is generally the cheapest, and you bring your own bags or pay for theirs.

The furniture links ChrisMwn gave you are very good, there are also a lot of charity shops who have 2nd hand furniture as well. Trademe is good, if you can get them to deliver or arrange someone to pick up for you.

cheers