Thread: Order of things and time frame once arrive

Default Order of things and time frame once arrive

Looking for the correct order to process stuff once arrive and documents needed to process each stage.

IRD number
    Bank account
    Car finance
    Rent house
    Mobile phone contract
    Car insurance

I am arriving in December and starting work in Hawkes bay asap so need to try and process all the above as quickly as possible. Was hoping to stay in a motel for 1/2 weeks and rent a hire car for the first week.. Is it possible to get set up in that time frame...?????

Thanks in advance for any advice

The most important information that you will need is your address... can be a hostal/hotel/motel address...

Rent house - start looking properties a week before you arrive
    Mobile phone - Prepaid is available same day. no extra information -
    Bank account - Same day that you arrive go to the bank a request an appoint to open a account - in Auckland takes a week to open a account -
    IRD number - after your bank account is confirmed you can request IRD -
    Car finance and Car insurance - you will need at least 3 months in your actual job -

And you can ask time to set up... you will be leaving your job early or taking long lunch break! - that's is normal...
    Last edited by YessicaCBO; 17th October 2016 at 09:49 AM.

The bank account can be setup from off-shore about a year prior to arrival. Once it is activated, you could already transfer funds into it prior to arriving. Of course there will be some remaining paperwork that you will need to attend to with the bank after arrival. But that is besides the point .... you can have your bank account setup before arrival.

as far as I can recall on my journey here...

::BEFORE TRAVEL ::

Bank account : setup offshore. Go to the bank websites, and apply there

Rent house : Try to find while stil offshore. If you got lucky, you might be able to secure one. Broaden your search (AirBNB, Auckland Homestay, etc etc).

Rent a Car : can be setup before your travel plan, at least yo ucan move here and there once landed. I rented for a week while looking for my current car.

:: UPON ARRIVAL ::

Mobile phone contract : Get prepaid first, can be purchased upon arrival at the airport. No worries, as your number still ca nbe used if you want to get postpaid / change mobile operator later on.

IRD number : you need address for this, as IRD will send you your IRD number via mail. Usually you need IRD number before you can start working.

Car finance : at least 3 months payslips...

Car insurance : whenever you want it once oyu got your car. Can be applied online. If oyu bought your car thru TradeMe, yo ucan apply thru Trade Me Insurance as well. (go penguin! :P )

I am not decided on the car yet atm ... opting to stay closer to the Auckland city by paying a wee bit higher rent and save on the car rental cost than staying further abound with cheaper rentals but likely need for a car.

Like you mentioned heiryz, its most economic to get a car than rent a car. And to get a car, it's either to pay full or get car financing where one must already have a job for at least 3 months.

Would it be easy to rent a car for 1-2 days only with notice to the car rental company of 2-3 days in advance? Mainly for interviews so that I don't need to waste too much time travelling with public transport if it is too far off.

Yes, no problem.

Thanks JandM. Good to know in advance so that I don't have to rent a car for a long period, and not maximizing its value.