Thread: CC debt from SG to NZ

Default CC debt from SG to NZ

Hi, I just want to ask this on behalf of my friend who had credit card debt in Singapore, left Singapore and after 2 years he became a resident in New Zealand.

The debt was already purchased by a debt collection agency based in Singapore and had contacted her via mail in New Zealand asking for a repayment.

Question: Does the debt collection agency has the legal rights to file in New Zealand a case against a resident of New Zealand? What are the legal remedies available in New Zealand in order to protect he rights against abuse and harrassment from the collection agent?

My friend is willing to pay-off the debt but not with the overwhleming amount being quoted by the collection agent. She is not able to travel to Singapore to settle the debt and has no way to verify if the installment payments will really be applied to the debt to eventually elimanate the debt.

Thank you!

Running away from debt is only going to compound the misery and credit card debt is the worst kind to continually avoid. I would suggest working with the bank in Singapore to pay off the debt in structured manageable instalments and see if you can pay it off while working and living in NZ. And yes, the accrued debt will slowly but surely diminished.

If you choose to continually avoid the debt, I would think the possible repercussions would be to be declared a bankrupt and have all your assets seized, and you may continually have to avoid travelling to Singapore at all costs.