Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: student visa extension declined

Default student visa extension declined

Hi everyone,

My application for student visa extension just got declined. The reason being I had my brother in law fill out my financial undertaking form when i first applied for New Zealand from overseas. However, my partner's visa for NZ was declined and i couldn't depend on in laws so my father filled out financial undertaking form for second year visa extension. My application was accepted and i got extension. When i applied for third year visa it got declined saying the person who filled out financial form initially isn't the same person as this one.
    I don't understand how it got accepted in second year but not in third year. I got back my passport on 18th October and my visa expires on 17th October. So I'm considered illegal and not allowed to attend class. I was told to get assistance from lawyer from college. Is there any hope if i get a lawyer? I would be grateful if any of you guys give me some suggestion on what should i do. I'm really freaked out.

Thank you.

I can't give any help, sorry, except from some moral support. Yes, as you described it, the reason for rejection sounds odd considering that it was approved for the 2nd year.

Lawyers can be expensive, but you are in a difficult situation. If there's a chance of getting advice elsewhere, then I think this would be the place it could happen. Let us know how it goes.

I'm an immigration lawyer - we can have an initial chat to get a better picture of your situation if you like before we discuss fees. Our email is [Edited to remove email address in line with Forum Rule 10. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40236 tanisu, make two more posts on any thread, then, after about 20 minutes, the forum's Private Message system will automatically switch on.]

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Lawyers can be expensive
    Not all of us are as bad as you think!

Are you allowed to advertise on here ?

Quote Originally Posted by tanisu View Post
    Hi everyone,

My application for student visa extension just got declined. The reason being I had my brother in law fill out my financial undertaking form when i first applied for New Zealand from overseas. However, my partner's visa for NZ was declined and i couldn't depend on in laws so my father filled out financial undertaking form for second year visa extension. My application was accepted and i got extension. When i applied for third year visa it got declined saying the person who filled out financial form initially isn't the same person as this one.
    I don't understand how it got accepted in second year but not in third year. I got back my passport on 18th October and my visa expires on 17th October. So I'm considered illegal and not allowed to attend class. I was told to get assistance from lawyer from college. Is there any hope if i get a lawyer? I would be grateful if any of you guys give me some suggestion on what should i do. I'm really freaked out.

Thank you.
    Hi, I m preety much familier sure about your scenario, as exactly same thing happended to my close friend, He recently applied for the student visa extension. He applied and his one relatives signed the financial undertaking BUT when he applied, he got a mail saying that there was a rule been changed from 22 AUGUST 2016, which stated that you can only get sponsered by the person who sponsered to you when you came to NZ.

BUT, they won't decline straight away, they will send you the letter stating the reason for not satisfying and will give you the oppertunity to comment. To sort out that problem, all you could have done is put some money on your bank account, print the statement and show them how you got the fund and you will get visa approved easy.

This is what we had done, few weeks before.

sorry to hear that your application got declined, and i m not familier about this situation but i guess you need to put the section 61 application now for which you would need a professional guidance, i guess.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenSteph View Post
    Are you allowed to advertise on here ?
    Licensed Immigration Advisers and immigration lawyers who voluntarily help people for free on the threads are allowed to tell people that in a complicated situation, they may need to employ them (or someone) professionally. We don't allow mentions of business from people who don't help free in small matters.

Apologies, I only posted the contact email address as the OP specifically mentioned a lawyer. In any event, as it appears that they are now here unlawfully, I highly recommend speaking to a lawyer (or a LIA at the very least) to sort this out. Getting advice at this point from anyone who is not either licensed or exempt would be ill-advised.

Cheers,
    J

I think you should get a visitor visa first to ensure you are legally staying in NZ if you don't plan to get out of the country.

and before talking to a lawyer which definitely costs you $$$, you might want to call the immigration NZ to see what alternatives are acceptable and if those are achievable by yourself...

First, you need to make a request under S61 as you are now here unlawfully (assuming I've understood all the information in your post). Don't try to just apply for a visitor visa because it will be rejected. If you choose to get a lawyer to do this for you, it would be at least $1500 in fees, so yes there is definitely a high cost as people have mentioned.

Thank you all for your replies. I have decide to seek legal help as I seem to be in a difficult situation.
    Last edited by tanisu; 20th October 2016 at 10:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast