Thread: Temporary Visa while SMC is being processed.

Question Temporary Visa while SMC is being processed.

Hello Everybody,

I'm currently applying for a position in New Zealand that would likely start pretty soon (6 weeks or so).

Are there any provisions that would allow me to start that soon with the SMC? Once you're invited to apply, are they able to give you any kind of temporary work Visa? My worry is that I have to get the IQA done and that seems to take AGES! So if the role were to start in 6-8 weeks, how could I get started in the role on time?

I've heard something about a temporary provision, but I can't find any information on it.

I realize I can do the expedited version of the IQA, but I still don't know if that will bring down the time of the process enough.

Thank you!

You could first apply for a work visa in order to get started.
    Last edited by Lim McDowall; 22nd October 2016 at 06:38 PM.

Yes, most people apply for a work visa as well as SMC, so they can be in NZ and working while all the procedures for SMC tick along, taking as long as necessary.

Is that work visa something that you would apply for after you were invited to apply officially? (EOI Accepted and ITA Received)

Also, I know the new rules regarding the points threshold, but will a 12-month contract for a job still qualify as a Job Offer under SMC? I looked for any new rules regarding this in the new information, but didn't see it anywhere.

Thank you very much!

Regarding your first question, a work visa application is seperate and can (and should) be applied for now.

Regarding your second question, the policy is as follows:

Employment must be ongoing and sustainable. Ongoing and sustainable employment is:
    - an offer of employment or current employment, with a single employer, that is permanent or indefinite, and of which the employer is in a position to meet the terms specified; or
    - an offer of employment or current employment with a single employer, for a stated term of at least 12 months; or
    - employment on a contract basis where the applicant:
    has a consistent history of contract work, and
    has a current contract for services, and
    INZ is satisfied that such contract work is likely to be sustained.

Lim,

What's the name or category of this work visa? I'm not finding anything helpful on the Immigration website.

Thanks!

Either an Essential Skills visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa, or Work To Residence https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...list-work-visa, if your employer is accredited.