Thread: Residence through partner question

Default Residence through partner question

Hi all,
    I will be applying for residency through my nz citizen partner very soon and i am just wondering what residence i will get?
    For instance, will it be permanent residency straight away without any conditions, or will it be residence and then after 2 years i have to change it to permanent residency etc.
    Im a bit confused with the meaning of receiving permanent residence indefinitely

thanks,
    Rich

If you apply for residence, that's what you'll get. If you and your NZ citizen partner have been living outside of NZ for at least the last 5 years, and you otherwise meet the requirements for a residence visa under the partnership category, then you can apply for a permanent resident visa straight away.

we have been living together in new zealand for over a year.
    I see i can apply for residence through my parter because of this, but the website says i will get permanent residence indefinitely.

'indefinitely'?

It is indefinite in the sense that you will continue to hold the resident visa as long as you meet the travel requirements. If you never leave the country you will still hold the visa. Basically, how I understand it, if you were to leave the country after the two years your visa would no longer be valid. This would be around the point where you can apply for permanent residence where their are no travel restrictions; as long as you meet the conditions.

If you applied for your visa while overseas, you’ll have 12 months to travel to New Zealand.

Once in New Zealand, or if you applied for your visa while in New Zealand, you can travel in and out of New Zealand as often as you like until your travel Conditions expire.

To travel after that, you’ll need to apply for and be granted either:

a Permanent Resident Visa
    a variation of your travel conditions, which would allow you to return to New Zealand at a later date.
    Your travel conditions will expire 2 years from the date you first arrive in New Zealand as a resident.

If you’re outside of New Zealand when your travel conditions expire, your visa will expire as well.
    Link

"the website says i will get permanent residence indefinitely."
    Nope.

"It is indefinite in the sense that you will continue to hold the resident visa as long as you meet the travel requirements"
    He was talking about PR, which does not have travel conditions.

Residence lasts indefinitely, if you stay within NZ when your travel conditions have run out. The wording of lots of INZ documents causes much misunderstanding, even for those working in other NZ institutions.

richkenny87, can you please post a link to which part of the website you are looking at, where you found this "will get permanent residence indefinitely" mention, then people will be able to see the context and answer you more helpfully.