Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential Skills Work Visa

Default Essential Skills Work Visa

Hey Everyone
    I need some help regarding Essential Skills Work Visa. If I get a job as Chef Assistant, but I do not have any experience or qualifications in cookery can i still get work visa? If yes, then whats the minimum job posititon i need to get essential skills work visa?
    Thanks

Please someone reply whenever u get time

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...al-skills-visa is what INZ says to employers about supporting someone to get an Essential Skills visa.

This is the part that applies to your idea of working on a no-skills kitchen job.
    If the job is low-skilled, you must provide a Skills Match Report from Work and Income (in addition to advertising the role) showing either:

there are no New Zealanders available to do the work
    there are no New Zealanders who you believe are suitable for the work.
    This is only likely to be true if the business is located somewhere really isolated. Anywhere that has a resident populations is likely to have some NZers, e.g. school leavers, who can be shown how to do the job.

Thanks for the reply Jand okay what if i get the position of Chef even though i dont have experience or qualifications but the employer is happy to train me?

It's not only having the name of the position that matters, but the proven ability to do it, that matters. As it says at that same link, as one of the conditions for not having to recruit a New Zealander -
    unless...
    the work is in an occupation on one of our essential skills in demand lists and your candidate has the qualifications and/or work experience listed for that occupation
    For the long term skills list, a Chef has to show the following.
    Required standard

One of the following qualifications:
    - New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (NZQF Level 4)
    - National Certificate in Hospitality (Cookery) (NZQF Level 4)
    - New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (NZQF Level 5) (Relevant strand is Cookery)
    AND
    a minimum of five years' combined experience in establishments offering a la carte/banqueting or commercial catering, with a minimum of two years at Chef de Partie (Section Leader level or higher)
    I know you are trying to find a way to get a visa quickly and easily. It sounds as if this employer is someone who is keen to help you out. Be VERY careful, though. If you or he bend the rules, or try to, you could get picked up as someone who is trying to commit fraud against INZ, and he could be reported as not keeping to employment law.

Sorry to interfere,

But an ex-employer (well someone who rejected me for a job) told me that there are some ways, INZ allows NZ employers to get abroad workers or to give job offers without looking for a NZers.
    This ex-employer told me that for souvenir shops and for restaurants they don't need. Or if they need and they don't do, INZ is kinda lax with them for that.

The fact is he told me, if it's a restaurant based on foreign cuisine, like Indian, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Spanish, etc... they don't need to look or advertise the job offer inside NZ and for NZers.

He told me it's like "an unwritten rule". Japanese restaurant needs Japanese workers and speakers. French needs French. Etc.... So it's useless to look for NZers and for that part, INZ doesn't care.

If someone is following that line, they are blatantly breaking NZ Immigration law. It is most definitely NOT allowed, and there are often INZ raids on premises suspected of employing workers without the proper visas, or fraudulent visas. INZ have wider powers to enter and inspect even than the police. So-called unwritten rules are NOT rules at all. Any person given a visa on the basis of lies is guilty of fraud, and the visa can be instantly revoked and the person deported, even after they have worked for years without being discovered.

If tempted to go along with someone like this, don't, unless you want to live looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life.

Ah okay! Well is such complicated to believe employers

So if for example, a French restaurant offers me a job without having looked and advertised the job offer in NZ, although I'll get the temporary work visa, it's illegal. Right?

Although the restaurant is French and me I'm a French native speaker. That's not an enough reason to overcome to check for NZer in first. Right?

Right on both counts - don't do it!

Okay thanks for your help.

I was kinda suspicious because inside the French restaurant, there are only French workers. No one is a NZer, from kitchen, to waitresses and the receptionist only French workers, so I thought because it's French restaurant and we use English only for customers they could overcome

So it means if between a NZ receptionist and me, although the restaurant is French and although workers speak French almost the time inside, even though I have the qualifications the NZ worker has to be engaged in priority?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast