Thread: How to rent a place being a new immigrant - Auckland

Default How to rent a place being a new immigrant - Auckland

Hi everyone, I'm not sure I can post this here but I just want your tips and experiences with first renting a place in Auckland being a new immigrant.

I'll be moving to NZ in January 2017 and I have a few questions about the rental process, being:

- How do I get references being a new immigrant? Will my employer phone number (who can confirm I am hired by them and can pay the rent) and a phone number from a friend (who is NOT a kiwi but is living in Auckland for about a year) be enough?
    - Is it normal/allowed to visit the property and take photos to prove that any damage was pre existing? Do I have to send these pictures and inspection form to the owner of the property for evidence? (so that I can get my bond payment back when moving out)
    - When am I expected to sign the tenancy agreement? Is this signed before making any payments?
    - Do you recommend renting through a real estate agency or directly through trade me with the owner of the property?
    - I'm looking for places in North Shore (mainly Glenfield, Devonport and Takapuna), and I'll be working in CDB - are these good places?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Gabriela.

Quote Originally Posted by gabrielalutfi View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure I can post this here but I just want your tips and experiences with first renting a place in Auckland being a new immigrant.

I'll be moving to NZ in January 2017 and I have a few questions about the rental process, being:

- How do I get references being a new immigrant? Will my employer phone number (who can confirm I am hired by them and can pay the rent) and a phone number from a friend (who is NOT a kiwi but is living in Auckland for about a year) be enough?
    - Is it normal/allowed to visit the property and take photos to prove that any damage was pre existing? Do I have to send these pictures and inspection form to the owner of the property for evidence? (so that I can get my bond payment back when moving out)
    - When am I expected to sign the tenancy agreement? Is this signed before making any payments?
    - Do you recommend renting through a real estate agency or directly through trade me with the owner of the property?
    - I'm looking for places in North Shore (mainly Glenfield, Devonport and Takapuna), and I'll be working in CDB - are these good places?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Gabriela.
    1. Yes, that will okay. They a use to NEW people - with cero reference in NZ - Before writing a name or phone number in forms make sure you let your company know that you are using their information as reference.
    2. Yes, and you must! Here processes are slow... make sure you have photos and you can request fixes before moving in.
    3. You will pay and sign tenancy before or same day that you are moving in. In my last New rent (August) I pay half of bond and first week of rent 3 days after securing the unit, and a day before moving in I pay the rest of the money.
    4. Real state agency vs owner... same-same.
    5. Traffic is terrible in Auckland! Buses and ferry are not constant - I work in the city/CBD and I have colleagues that their day start at 6 am and they get to work at 8.30 - consider renting something next to the train station - bus stop or ferry...

You will arrive in the best time of the year... SUMMER and you will love it!!!

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by YessicaCBO View Post
    1. Yes, that will okay. They a use to NEW people - with cero reference in NZ - Before writing a name or phone number in forms make sure you let your company know that you are using their information as reference.
    2. Yes, and you must! Here processes are slow... make sure you have photos and you can request fixes before moving in.
    3. You will pay and sign tenancy before or same day that you are moving in. In my last New rent (August) I pay half of bond and first week of rent 3 days after securing the unit, and a day before moving in I pay the rest of the money.
    4. Real state agency vs owner... same-same.
    5. Traffic is terrible in Auckland! Buses and ferry are not constant - I work in the city/CBD and I have colleagues that their day start at 6 am and they get to work at 8.30 - consider renting something next to the train station - bus stop or ferry...

You will arrive in the best time of the year... SUMMER and you will love it!!!

good luck!
    Hi Yessica! Thanks a lot for your fast answer, you're so sweet. I feel more comfortable now, I was starting to freak out wondering how to rent a place without any background! haha

Thank you!

I had contact details for my manager, but I brought a copy of my job offer, including the salary. Never any issues...excepting finding a place I liked! Most properties are managed by agencies.

We just arrived from Canada to Auckland over 2 weeks ago. We just signed our rental contact today and being a new immigrant, the property manager just contacted our previous rental property manager in Canada for a reference. Devonport and Takapuna are both very nice neighbourhood, will love to live there too but can't find anything suitable and got tired of looking for rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland2016 View Post
    We just arrived from Canada to Auckland over 2 weeks ago. We just signed our rental contact today and being a new immigrant, the property manager just contacted our previous rental property manager in Canada for a reference. Devonport and Takapuna are both very nice neighbourhood, will love to live there too but can't find anything suitable and got tired of looking for rentals.
    Which suburb? What kind of place? How much? You know, from one hoser to another