Thread: claiming points for qualification gained in NZ bit confused

Default claiming points for qualification gained in NZ bit confused

Hi everyone,
    Just hoping someone can clarify. I was trying to fill in the qualification section of expression of interest form. The form asks for the following

F2) Please provide the details of the recognized qualification(s) for which you are claiming points. If claiming points for a postgraduate qualification, please also add details of your undergraduate qualifications.

I have a level 9 post graduate degree gained after studying more than 2 years in NZ which I intend to claim 60 points. I dont intent to claim points for my bachelor degree, but I understand that I would need to add this qualification anyway.

However my bachelor degree education provider does not make it to the NZQA exception list. So my question is do i need to get an NZQA assessment done even though I am not claiming points for this degree?

Regards
    Nick

Do you need to claim bonus points because of Area of Absolute Skill Shortage or Identified Future Growth?

Yes, I am claiming bonus points for recognized qualification in absolute skill shortage for my doctorate degree (mechanical engineering) gained in New Zealand. Also I am claiming points on job offer in mechanical engineer which is included in long term skill shortage list. So my understanding is that i may not need go through NZQA.

To claim for any bonus points, you have to show that you have a qualification that meets the requirements in the LTSSL box for your career. http://skillshortages.immigration.go...ical-engineer/
    Required standard

One of the following:
    - A Washington Accord accredited undergraduate (initial) engineering degree (listed - see Note 3)
    - A Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    - A qualification at NZQF Level 7 or higher, with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meet the benchmark requirements towards Chartered Professional Engineer professional status in New Zealand
    - NZ registration as a Chartered Professional Engineer by the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand.
    Your doctoral degree does not supersede the requirement for this. So for bonus points, you will need to get your bachelor's degree assessed.

I strongly suggest that you look here http://onlineservices.immigration.go...anual/6954.htm for the detailed requirements for claiming points under the different headings. SM6 has a chart, and the other sections show the exact regulations.

Wink

Hi JandM,

Thanks for your reply. just went through the links you provided. based on that I revised as how I claim my points.

25 Points for age.
    60 Points for recognized post graduate qualification NZQA level 9
    15 Points A recognized post-graduate New Zealand qualification requiring a minimum of two years of full-time study in New Zealand (level nine or ten on the NZQF)
    60 current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of at least twelve months that meets ANZESCO job description. Job requires post graduate qualification.
    5 Recognized work experience in New Zealand for 1 year.

totally 165 points. I understand I can only claim points for one qualification, so I might have to just list my undergraduate qualification, even though I am not claiming any points.
    Please let me know if I am on the right track. I wish to submit EOI before honorable minister raises the bar again..

Regards
    Nick

That looks as if it makes sense. Good luck.

(I don't think they're likely to make any further radical change(s) before the election next year.)

Hi Nick....I have a sort of similar situation...just interested in knowing any updates from you? Did you submit without the IQA for your bachelors?