Thread: Confusion over Degree Exemption Status

Default Confusion over Degree Exemption Status

Some confusion over this before I send in my visa application and EoI for SMC.

I have BTEC Foundation Degree that was awarded by a combination of the University of Bedfordshire (not exempt), University of Kent (Exempt) and Southampton Solent University (not exempt).

I subsequently sat a 1 year top up of the FdSc to earn my BSc (Hons) from the University of Bath (Exempt).

My bachelors degree makes no mention of it being a partnership degree, it's just a standard BSc (hons) 2:2 transcript and certificate, with 1 academic year on it, and my results for that year.

The question I have is, should I submit both in my proof of education and work experience, or just the exempted University of Bath one, or should I send off to have both validated by NZQA?

I'm planning on sending my application off when I've sat my medical next wednesday (2/11/16), but obviously there will be a delay if they need to be assessed - and I'm due to fly to Auckland 27th December, to settle and then start work 9th January.

Any guides would be wonderful thanks

I have BTEC Foundation Degree that was awarded by a combination of the University of Bedfordshire (not exempt), University of Kent (Exempt) and Southampton Solent University (not exempt).
    There's a misconception here. It's not an institution that is exempt from assessment, but the individual qualification itself.

If you look at the List of Qualifications Exempt From Assessment, you need to find your qualification - the exact name - listed alongside the name of the institution that awarded it, and the dates in the last column need to cover the year when you received the qualification.

I'm looking at the list, and if your degree from the University of Bath was awarded after 1979, it looks as though you're covered.

I haven't seen anyone else on our threads mentioning how INZ dealt with a partnership degree, however, so I can't suggest a definite reassuring answer for you.

Have you applied/Are you applying for a temporary work visa as well as Residence, so as to be able to start work in January?

Yes.

I'm liable to actually apply for SMC from within Auckland itself, just to save the money for my first month over there, but yes, it's nto clear in any of the guidance I can see.

I'm going to send my application in anyway, if it gets referred then I'll feed back here and hope the assessment comes back in time :/