Thread: New dog crate size restrictions

Default New dog crate size restrictions

Just a heads-up: We just found out that Air New Zealand has changed the allowable size of dog crates for domestic flights. If you're shipping straight to Auckland from overseas, no worries. If the final destination is Wellington (Levin) or Chch you might run into a problem because MAF won't allow re-crating and that would add at least another 10 hours in the crate for your dog since they would have to be collected and driven to the quarantine facility before they can be let out.

The maximum size is 54" length x 45" wide x 34" tall (thats 137cm x 144cm x 86cm). The "key" measurement is the 34" tall.

BUT there seems to be some discrepancy between the US ANZ cargo people, the NZ ANZ cargo people and some of the transporters. My hubby and I are tracking it down from both sides of the world so I'll update when I can.

Susan

I have previously replied to this post but it seems to be lost in cyber space somewhere!
    so if this post appears twice, sorry.
    Thanks for the info Susan,
    Can you please keep us up dated with any info you find as our hound will not fit in the smaller size crates. Whilst we have no clear plans re our final destination in NZ if we don't end up in Auckland dog transportation is another thing we will have to consider more carefully.
    Thanks again. Debbie

Default More dog questions

I just wanted to add some more dog info and questions. Our dog's current crate is pretty snug. He can stand up and turn around fine and he really likes it but there's not a lot of clearance from the top of his head or lengthwise. Does anyone know how much extra room is needed and how strict they are about this? We'll get him a new crate now and start getting him used to it if we need to.
    I spoke with the Auckland quarantine facility yesterday regarding space for a dog in February. They said that they have room and that they don't usually fill up. We are hoping to move in February, but it may take a few weeks for us to get a date finalized. Our dog had his first rabies titre back in July, so it sounds like we only need about 2 weeks (minimum) lead time to get everything else in order for him. Please let me know if this is unrealistic. We will use an agency (Pet Transport Ltd I think it's called. The one in LA) for all of his final work.
    We also just found out last night that our dog has a tumour in his eye. The vet doesn't think it is likely to spread, but wants to start treating it right away. We can leave him with his aunt in the USA until he's ready to travel if need be. Does anyone know if this will affect him getting a health certificate?
    Thanks and good luck to all those transporting pets to NZ. I'd love to hear for those who have already been through all of this.
    Susan

Hi Debbie

Yes I will absolutely update you. Our gang is due to ship Jan 5 so we should know for sure by then. We have a dog that is borderline on the smaller size crates. It is a quandry since I know that USDA won't allow a pet to ship if there is not enough room (we wouldn't want her crowded anyhow - its bad enough to have her in any crate for that long). But on the MAF side of things, I understand from the Air New Zealand lady that they will no longer re-crate a dog to a smaller crate for the short flight to Welly or Chch. Something about a MAF person and a cranky, scared Rottie and teeth. Can't blame them, the dog or the MAF person, but it creates a real problem.

Also, my brilliant and persistent hubby found out that there is a "height extension kit" for the #500 Vari Kennel type travel crates that fits between the top and bottom halves of the crate and extends the height by 3 inches. Our pet transport company told him about it. So, depending on why your dog needs the larger crate (as in height, width or length) that might be an option.

Howie, I wouldn't think that the tumor would make a difference on the health certificate - they're really focused on diseases or conditions that can be spread. I am really sorry to hear about though, I know it can be devastating to have a sick dog. But your transport people should be able to give you better info. BTW, I HIGHLY recommend the Wellington facility. John and Denise are fabulous people and we're lovely when I came out to visit the place.

I'll let y'all know more as I find out. You know, I think its taken more time, energy and dollars to get our pets over to NZ than it did for us to get PR. Amazing. ;-)

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Howie
    Does anyone know how much extra room is needed and how strict they are about this?
    I think it probably depends on the USDA vet you get. The one I met seemed more intent on commenting on how fat my dog was than anything else Where do they come up with these people?

Silas was a little more snug in his crate than I had expected - not because of weight (!), but because of his frame. He isn't really crate trained (no room in my small house), so I had measured him for the crate, but not tested him in it till late in the game. We didn't have any problems.

sweatpea,
    has your dog already made the trip from the US to NZ? I'd love to hear more about your experience. Is he in quarantine now? If so, how's he making out? I'm worried that my dog is going to go nuts without exersice. Thanks for the info.
    Susan