Thread: Visitor Visa while applying for Residency Visa

Question Visitor Visa while applying for Residency Visa

I am a little confused.
    My husband came to NZ on a visa waiver, and we have started the application process for a residency visa - medicals etc have just been done, so mostly waiting on the results, plus my police check from overseas, which is already under way also.

His 3 month waiver would be up around Dec 24th, so do we need to apply for a visitor visa at the same time as applying for the residency visa so that he is 'legally' allowed here while the residency is being processed? If so, how do you fill out the form correctly so that they know you are applying for residency as well? We do have the E Medical reference, so assume we can use that for the visitor visa?

It does seem odd to be applying for a visitor visa when you are also applying for residency, or is this normal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I reckon you need to on a valid visa while staying on NZ regardless if you are waiting for your residency application

You can apply for both things simultaneously. Just make sure to mention it in your cover letter. From my experience the visit visa and residency visa are processed separately. Which means that you have to submit all the original or certified copies in both of your applications, even if they are same - just make two sets of all the documents and submit. One medical test is enough for both appliations, until they are valid.

All the best!

Does he have a job offer, or is he applying for Residence under the family stream?