Thread: Renting a Apartment in Auckland - 2 Adult and 1 Infact

Default Renting a Apartment in Auckland - 2 Adult and 1 Infact

Hi Folks,

Just need a clarification from those who have gone thru this. I am getting too worried after reading forums and speaking to many of the friends living there.

We are a family of 3 (2 Adults and 1 Infant) planning to move to Aukcland somewhere at the End of Feb/Start of March. What I have heard from my friends is that real estate agents will NOT prefer someone having a kid to do the contract for a Stuido or a 1BHK appartment? Is it true? How difficult its going to be to find an appartment or any accomodation for a family with a kid?

Also, how to select the apartment as I am getting too much concerned about the heating mechanism in the houses and appartment?

Any tips, any suggestion ? Or how it works in Auckland?

Any help will be apprecaited..

Having kid should not be a problem. The property manager will see if you are able to pay weekly rent. You shall need to provide some comfort to the property manager / property owner.

Selecting a property will depend on your choice of location plus type of property. If you wish to stay in CBD or nearby area, you will get plenty of options of 1 bed room or studio apartment. Outside CBD you will have more options such as town house, houses, apartment etc and the property will be bigger.

Check trademe.co.nz and subscribe for daily alerts for your choice of property. Check for the availability of the apartment which suits your dates. You should also check other websites of property dealers. All the best.

Thanks Avidza for your response. You said the property manager should see if I am able to pay or not.. Since I will be completely new to the market and will in the phase of Job hunt, how I can show that I will be committed enough to pay the rent on time? Is it not the rule that if you have kids you must need to have a 2 BHK?

I know this is subjective, but in your opinion which areas are good for a family? What I heard form ppl is these areas are good.. 1. Mount Roskill 2. Mount Eden 3. Lynfield 4. Mount wellington any comments or suggestions will be appreciated..

Since there shall be deposit of 3-4 weeks in most of the cases, giving comfort to property manager is really subjective and depends on the deal. They see many tenants like you who are new to NZ.

I do not think there is any rule about having 2BHK if you have kids. You will find max number of persons who can stay in the property in the advertisement.

Selection of area will depend upon your budget and type of property you are looking for. NZ is a safe country and most of the places are good for family. You should spend at least 5-7 days visiting properties in different areas.

You might struggle to find anyone willing to rent a studio to 3 persons: usually 2 persons is the norm. A 1 BR for you and your baby should be no issue.

It is a lot easier to find a place once you're here. 1 BR apartments are more common in city centre and adjacent suburbs (St Mary's Bay, Freeman's Bay, Ponsonby, Eden Terrace, Grafton, Newmarket, among others) and it will largely come down to what you are able to afford. If you have a job that will help a lot too. Good luck!