Thread: Importance of degree s name and French engineer degree

Default Importance of degree s name and French engineer degree

Hello all,
    We are about to request to NZQA the assessment of my husband s engineering degree with the hope it will be equivalent to a level 9 in order to have 60 points for qualification.
    Is the name of the degree important? Because his engineer degree can either be translated by Engineer Degree or Master of Engineering Degree. And we want to have the right wording if it is important.
    Does the name have to include the word "Master" in order to be equivalent to a level 9
    Are all Masters degrees at level 9 ?

How can we best secure that his French Engineer degree is assessed as level 9 and not level 8 ?

He has already been assessed by NZQA as having a Bachelor specific outcome level 7 and as having another degree as level 8 (the French Maitrise which is 4 years after high school)
    But we need 60 points not 50 so we are trying to get
    his engineer degree as equivalent to level 9 because In France it is 5 years after high school.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by nzfrog; 13th November 2016 at 05:36 PM.

NZQA, when preparing for an IQA, look at what was studied, for how long, to what depth - they don't go by the title.

Ok thanks JandM . At least this is one thing less to worry about.
    What worries us is that in the exemption list they say the Diplôme d Ingénieur is level 8 . Although his degree and university are NOT in the exemption list I fear it gives a trend for the outcome...
    But it is actually a Master s degree when I checked the french CTI (commission des titres d Ingenieur, an institution recognised internationally it seems) and therefore it would be logical if it is equivalent to level 9 like all Masters.
    We hope so...
    Would a written confirmation from CTI help to show/prove to NZQA it is like a Master s ?

I don't know that it would make any difference, but in your place, I would send it anyway - you'll know you've done everything you can.

Ok thanks.
    I have just asked CTI for a letter through their website. I will give them a call on monday also.
    Meanwhile I will attach to my IQA application the link below:
    http://www.cti-commission.fr/Institu...ng-the-Titre-d

I post it in this thread as it might help other french applicants in the future.