Thread: Partner pregnant and has less than two years of work visa

Question Partner pregnant and has less than two years of work visa

Hi guys. I don't know if anyone has had this situation before. The question is: I'm a NZ resident and my partner is under work visa for less than 2 years, does anybody know if we get "free" treatment at hospital in case she gets pregnant? All I know is: If you hold a work visa for, at least, two year you don't need to pay for the birth, exams, midwife etc, but our situation is different. I've been living here for over 10 years and she is here for less than two, so I'm not sure if, as been a resident the father, the rule still the same!
    OBS: I can't support the partnership visa to her yet as I was the main applicant for residency visa with another lady for less than 5 years.
    Thanks you very much!
    Last edited by amjr1977; 14th November 2016 at 10:38 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Quote Originally Posted by amjr1977 View Post
    Hi guys. I don't know if anyone has had this situation before. The question is: I'm a NZ resident and my partner is under work visa for less than 2 years, does anybody know if we get "free" treatment at hospital in case she gets pregnant? All I know is: If you hold a work visa for, at least, two year you don't need to pay for the birth, exams, midwife etc, but our situation is different. I've been living here for over 10 years and she is here for less than two, so I'm not sure if, as been a resident the father, the rule still the same!
    OBS: I can't support the partnership visa to her yet as I was the main applicant for residency visa with another lady for less than 5 years.
    Thanks you very much!
    http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...nancy-services

Thank you very much ChrisMwn.
    I think this part: "Pregnant women are eligible for free and subsidised maternity-related services if they...are pregnant with a child that is found to be a New Zealand citizen by birth..." answer my question.
    Thank you!

if someone gets pregnant by someone with a resident class visa (or by a kiwi of course), they should be covered for maternity care. be prepared to attend all initial appointments, with your passport/visa though. Each DHB should have an eligibility officer who you can contact to look into more nuanced circumstances. You may find that some care providers/ultrasound places/labs etc are more hard-line/make you prove things more, than other care providers, so seeking clarity from an eligibility officer may do you well.

Hi amjr1977. How many years have lapsed since you successfully sponsored your previous partner under Residence?

Thank you Kdok.

Hi gcapd. Almost one year only.
    I was reading about been the sponsor to the actual partner and saw the post saying about wait for five year and got curious if she gets pregnant before she complete two years of work visa.