Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auckland v Wellington

Smile Auckland v Wellington

Hi Guys and gals - Happy New Year to all.

Need some urgent help as moving to New Zealand is imminent.

I have a job offer which can be based either in Auckland or Wellington but we can't make up our minds as to which one to go for. The new employer needs to know my decision within the next 10 days.

What are the pluses and minuses for both of these places? Which is better - weatherwise, propertywise etc etc??

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Ishi26

My vote goes for Welly.

Hi ishi26, great position to be in!
    Have you looked at the "Location" section of this forum? There's loads of pros and cons for both places.
    Whilst we have not yet been over to NZ in person, for what it's worth, we feel more drawn to Auckland based on all our research.
    I'm sure plenty more folk will add their views, so good luck!
    Gil

I would go for Wellington as well.

Wellington

Wellington!

We had the same choice (twice as it happens now). Wellington was just more "us". Its a much smaller city which suits us. It has a great atmosphere which i found lacking in Auckland. I also prefer the waterfront in Welly. The harbour and oriental bay is just wonderful for walking along at luchtime or sitting on the wall for a picnic. Auckland just disnt seem to really have that.

If you think a bigger city would be better for you - its auckland, but if you after somewhere a bit smaller and with what is supposed to be the best coffee culture in nz (which sold me) its Welly.

Also - welly has The Chocolate Fish Cafe. No matter what Auckland has to offer - it doesnt have that!

Good luck!

Let's hear it for The Chocolate Fish!! But seriously, I have to agree that Wellington gets my vote.

Maybe if you can tell us what you are looking for, we can give you a better idea of which would suit you better. After all, we all have our own preferences and the perfect place for one person might be pure misery for another.

I personally like Wellington but will be moving to Auckland cos that's where my family is and they are the reason we are moving to NZ!!

But check out this link.
    http://tinyurl.co.uk/gvtk

Debs

I have not been to Welly, but it all looks a bit hilly for me! We are in Auckland and are happy here for now, however there was an article in the NZ Herald you may wish to peruse...

Wellington 'one of most boring places on earth'

01.01.06 1.00pm
    By Nicholas Moody and Ann Newbery

Hamiltonians can breathe a sigh of relief. Wellington - and not the perennially slated Waikato town - has been labelled New Zealand's most boring city.

At least that's according to English author Adam Russ, whose new book 101 Places Not To Visit: The Essential Guide To The World's Most Miserable, Ugly, Boring and Inbred Destinations offers Wellington as its only New Zealand destination to avoid.

Our capital city rates four out of five stars in the boredom rankings, making it the equal of Adamstown on Pitcairn Island (where the "most likely cause of death is declining a marriage proposal") and Sofia in Bulgaria (renowned for "buildings so ugly that even the Nazis couldn't be bothered to raze them to the ground").

Fans of the UK television series The Office will, however, be glad to know that Slough - home of fictional boor David Brent - beat the Windy City with a five-star rating. Just like the "overgrown village" that is Australia's insect-plagued Brisbane.

Not surprisingly, Mr Russ's opinion of our negligible cultural heritage and main attractions - shearing contests, apparently - isn't shared by many Wellingtonians.

Wade Lipsham from Sandwiches, a live music venue in Wellington, described the rating as "absolutely ridiculous. He's obviously judging our culture without coming here." Mr Lipsham said Wellington music acts such as Fat Freddy's Drop and Shapeshifter were having an impact on the world stage.

"From a musical point of view he's well off the mark," he said.

Fair Go's Kevin Milne, who has lived in the Wellington region for three decades, was surprised at Russ's inference that Wellingtonians didn't know how to make proper hamburgers.

"That is one of the reasons that Wellington is a great place," he said with pride.

"People in Wellington like beetroot in their burgers. They like to be different. They don't like to follow the same old formula that may succeed every-where else."

Mr Milne also said Wellington was undoubtedly "the thinking person's city".

Though the TV host regularly flies to Auckland to film his top-rating consumer show, "it would take billions of dollars for me to move elsewhere, like Auckland," he said.

Actress Geraldine Brophy has lived in every major New Zealand city and was happy to defend the city she's called home for the past two years.

She said Wellington was a "fantastic city", especially for the arts, and thought the London-based author might well have suffered from a case of sour grapes.

"I think perhaps somebody didn't get quite the service in a cafe bar that they might have wanted while they were writing the book," she said.

Ginette McDonald, who achieved fame as 80s icon Lyn of Tawa, said she had nothing but the highest praise for her stomping ground.

"I cannot speak more highly of a place that is nestled in the valley with the women's prison at one end and the old psychiatric hospital at the other. There's a lovely symmetry to it. "

Chris Lamers, general marketing manager at Positively Wellington Tourism, admitted he was initially put out when he read Russ' lowdown on Wellington, but was no longer so concerned after reading the rest of the book.

"We're happy to crow from the rooftops when we succeed, so one tongue-in-cheek piece isn't going to ruin the world."

It was better to be spoken about than not spoken about at all, he said.

"With people like Cate Blanchett singing our praises and King Kong premieres I don't think we need to worry."

Wellington 'one of most boring places on earth' ?? More boring than Dargaville?

Each to their own.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast