Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I resign when my case is under processing?

Default Can I resign when my case is under processing?

I have submitted the ITA materials, and waiting for CO allocation. I'm not working in NZ. But I have 10 points in EOI for LTSSL work experience. If I resign from my current job and will not work until final decision making, will there be any negative effect on my case?

Thanks!

That shouldn't have any effect. It doesn't negate what you have already done and claimed for. INZ might ask at the stage of interview why you decided to do that, so it would be a good idea to have a solid reason to give in answer. Also, if your career is one where there are rapid advances in technology or knowledge, you should be able to say how your kept up with those during your time of inactivity.

My husband claimed bonus points for LTSSL also and resigned after ITA was submitted and he got his interview during which he explained why he resigned but the CO did not even ask anything about this. It s him who spoke about this when he was asked what are his plans and when we intend to move.

Thanks a lot, folks! And I have to notice INZ for this change, right?
    BTW, can I go to NZ for job hunting using my multiple entries visitor's visa? Is it illegal to interview using this visa? How will the CO think about this?

We did not notify INZ for the change. He only informed his CO during interview. So I don t think you HAVE to notify INZ prior to the iterview. Saying that during the interview was fine for him.
    Regarding the job hunt last time I asked the question the answer I got was yes, looking for a job while on visitor s visa is possible if you have indicated in the immigration form you fill in in the plane that you intend to do so. But some experts will be able to confirm this for you and tell you the exact wording that has to be used.

BTW, can I go to NZ for job hunting using my multiple entries visitor's visa? Is it illegal to interview using this visa?
    It's not illegal - the wording for the application (or what you fill in on the plane if you're from a visa-waiver country) is "look, see and decide", and it's only WORKING while on a visitor's visa, not looking for work, that is forbidden - but since you have put in your ITA, then trying to enter NZ on a visitor's visa may be refused. You would come up on Immigration's computer as having applied for Residence, with the case not yet having been decided. This can be interpreted as your trying to pre-empt the decision and possibly stay illegally. The definition of a visitor is that the person will stay for a finite amount of time and then leave, due to ties in their home country, whereas you have already shown that you are very willing to leave your home country.

Thanks, JandM. So, your suggstion is that we'd better not to come to NZ for any reason, even the purpose is purely to travel? Because it's hard to define whether I come to find a job or not. INZ will not know how many resumes I will send out or how many interviews I will take if they just let me in. So the best solution for them is just refuse my entrance no matter what I write on the entrance card, just because I have applied for residence, right?

My purpose to ask this question is that I'm worried about that 9 months may not be enough for us to find jobs. And we hope to start our new lives as soon as possible. If we can go there earlier, we can start to find possible living location, buy a car and get familiar with the society. And maybe try to send out some resume only after we settle down. Definitely we will not stay there longer than legal duration. We will buy return tickets before go there.

But the point is I totally don't want to ruin my previous effort in residence visa application. So, to sum up, our conclusion is that "do not come to NZ using visitor visa before final decision making, no matter what the purpose really is and no matter what purpose we write on the entrance card" ?

What you do is entirely your decision. I'm just telling you the reaction that other people have previously had from INZ in similar circumstances. You can, of course, ask INZ for yourself, and see what they say. But IF someone at the call centre (and the telephone answerers are a human FAQ system working from a database, not qualified case workers) tells you that yes, you can go, I strongly suggest that you ask for an email confirming the information, which you would be able to show at Immigration upon arrival.

Thank you, JandM! This is a good idea!

I got reply from INZ regarding whether I can resign my current job. Why I feel they don't suggest me to do that? Or it's just an illusion?

Thank you for contacting us.
    I will endeavor to answer your questions as you have listed them.
    1. I claimed 10 points in LTSSL Work Experience in my EOI. Do I have to stay in my current skilled job until final decision making by INZ?
    Immigration New Zealand believes that the decision for clients to stay in their skilled employement, is entirely their own choice.
    2. Can I resign from this job (which is in Singapore) and stay at home without job and income until immigration decision making?
    The decision to leave your job in Singapore is entirely your decision to make. This should not have an impact on your Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa application.
    3. Will my application be denied or rejected if I am not working currently? Or is there any negative effect on my application?
    As you are not working in New Zealand at the moment, the decision not to work should not have a negative impact on your Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa application.
    4. Can I leave the country where Iím working in (Singapore)? If I do so, will there be any negative effect on my application?
    Your application will continue to process if you decide to leave Singapore. There will be no negative impact on the outcome of the Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa if you left Singapore.

As your application is still currently processing, you should take into consideration that Immigration New Zealand (Immigration Officers) may contact current or previous employers to verify your employment skills and experience.

We would advise clients to continue their current working lifestyle until a decision has been made and then consider the change in circumstances once residency has been granted.

I hope this has been helpful.

I think you're reading the wrong impression into this. They keep saying there is no negative impact on your application from any of the things you suggested you might do. I believe the last part is their usual warning attitude for applicants who jump the gun, breaking up their old life without KNOWING they will have a new one in NZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast