Thread: Earthquake damage to State Highway 1 and Shipping via Christchurch

Question Earthquake damage to State Highway 1 and Shipping via Christchurch

I've bought a property near Blenheim and was planning to ship a container load from the US via Christchurch. Looks like that is not going to work in the near future. Am I right in thinking it will be many months before SH1 is repaired? What would be the next best option: Nelson? Wellington? or is container transport feasible over Lewis Pass?
    Last edited by sandgrubber; 21st November 2016 at 01:36 PM.

Months or years until SH1 and the railway are open again. Trucks do go across the Lewis so containers should be possible that way. Nelson has a container port but I'm not sure what ships go there.

I would think that Nelson is the best option anyway.., as far as I know it might depend on the shipping company, if they go to Nelson, though.

Some years a go we had some things as a part of a friend's container load coming to Nelson.

Trucks are going through from Christchurch, by the way- via the inland route, which takes at least double the time, though.
    Last edited by newarrival; 21st November 2016 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks for the replies. One of the companies that has given me quotes goes via Nelson. They weren't the cheapest, but they were far from the most expensive, so I'll probably end out using them.

In general, Christchurch is the larger port, and though it's a somewhat longer shipping route, prices for the marine part of the trip seemed better to Christchurch than Nelson. I would be surprised if the inland route is the least bit container friendly, and I expect prices rise significantly where that route is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
    Thanks for the replies. One of the companies that has given me quotes goes via Nelson. They weren't the cheapest, but they were far from the most expensive, so I'll probably end out using them.

In general, Christchurch is the larger port, and though it's a somewhat longer shipping route, prices for the marine part of the trip seemed better to Christchurch than Nelson. I would be surprised if the inland route is the least bit container friendly, and I expect prices rise significantly where that route is necessary.
    Yes, you are right.., the poor road has taken a big battering already and is constantly being patched up. It was never made for such a volume of traffic, and not for a high volume of heavy traffic at all.