Thread: Immigration Agent or not.........

Default Immigration Agent or not.........

Hi all,

Needing honest opinions on this.

Current situation:

My family (wife and three kids) and I entered NZ on visitor visa 30/10. This is now the third time we've been in NZ since 2011 and want to make it permanent

Within the first week when we arrived this time, I visited a Immigration agent, who suggested the below process:

STEP ONE: COMPREHENSIVE VISA AND JOB SEARCH ASSISTANCE

Our Immigration Preparation Fee: NZ$2950
    Job Search Assistance (if required): NZ$1000

STEP TWO: WORK VISA APPLICATION

Our Fee: NZ$1500
    Government Fee: NZ$298

STEP THREE: YOUR RESIDENT VISA APPLICATION

Our Fee: NZ$1500 (Family application)
    NZ$1350 (Single person applicant)
    Government Fee: NZ$530

2. THE RESIDENT VISA APPLICATION

Government Fee: NZ$2470

As you can see it's a very expensive contact to sign with them, maybe this is just the going rate?

Anyway, I have since done a fair bit of homework on the subject as well as applying for jobs. I have also completed the NZQA, who have just received the application today. I have also registered with INZ online any have 90% completed the EOI for SMC (Electrical Engineer) visa - it's now waiting for a job offer to be entered. I am also waiting for one last employer to come back with a technical reference then I will be sending off my EWRB application (Electrical Engineer). I am now at the stage that I don't want to make a mistake that could jeopardise my INZ application and wondering if I am better off (not financially!) to get a 'professional' to complete the process???

One big difference between the agent and my approach, is that they seem to be wanting to apply for a work visa first - is this the better path to take? Keeping in mind I need my wife and three kids to be transferred from our current visitor visa also.

Worth noting the INZ points assessment is indicating 180 points - with a job offer that is.

I have until mid April to complete one of the above processes........

Any advise would be great!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by phughson View Post
    Hi all,

Current situation:

My family (wife and three kids) and I entered NZ on visitor visa 30/10. This is now the third time we've been in NZ since 2011 and want to make it permanent

Within the first week when we arrived this time, I visited a Immigration agent, who suggested the below process:

As you can see it's a very expensive contact to sign with them, maybe this is just the going rate?

Anyway, I have since done a fair bit of homework on the subject as well as applying for jobs. I have also completed the NZQA, who have just received the application today. I have also registered with INZ online any have 90% completed the EOI for SMC (Electrical Engineer) visa - it's now waiting for a job offer to be entered. I am also waiting for one last employer to come back with a technical reference then I will be sending off my EWRB application (Electrical Engineer). I am now at the stage that I don't want to make a mistake that could jeopardise my INZ application and wondering if I am better off (not financially!) to get a 'professional' to complete the process???

One big difference between the agent and my approach, is that they seem to be wanting to apply for a work visa first - is this the better path to take? Keeping in mind I need my wife and three kids to be transferred from our current visitor visa also.

Worth noting the INZ points assessment is indicating 180 points - with a job offer that is.

Thanks!

Hi,

If you are so sure of the next path to take including the processes for each path I advised not to take the service of an agent.But if you are not so confident about most processes better to take their service just to make sure that you are on the right track.Just consider that the agent that you will get is a licensed one. I have been availing the services of an immigration consultant for twice already.It is very expensive.Somehow they helped my application but they cannot control or they cannot help ease the processing.Sometimes it is frustrating and will lead you to not trust anymore.

But if you have enough and allocated budget to hire an immigration consultant.It is better since you dont need to do the write ups and all especially when you applied for residence visa.

Most people, upon getting a skilled NZ job offer, will need to apply first for a work visa (either Essential Skills or Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa), because they can be processed in around a month, all being well, whereas a Residence application can take up to a year, and no employer is going to want to wait that long for their new staff member. Your wife and children can get visas dependent on your work visa - see here for links. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....422#post535422

You are obviously working steadily through the processes, so you probably don't actually need the services of an agent. Those quotes mention a lot of money for them to tell you to do what the INZ website, and their forms and guides, will already tell you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by phughson View Post
    Hi all,

Current situation:

Thanks!

I believe this is a very personal question. Migration process can be difficult and expensive. If you are confident in you reading skills and google search skills you can complete this process by yourself.

I did my Work visa and Resident visa

Some cases are easier than others...

As I said before, this really depends in your confidence in completing successfully your migration process.

hi

I suggest to have a advisor if you are doing it alone since this is not our area of expertise. But if you have a partner or someone who can double check your details and research in parallel with you then you dont need one. Again it is all until making an application. Once applied it makes no difference...

Yes if you have a partner as conscious as you and who can help triple check everything you can proceed without agent if your case is clear: no doubt on qualification level, no doubt which skilled occupation to choose, no doubt on english level, no doubt on relevant experience.
    Sometimes the cases are complex but sometimes they are cristal clear.
    And this forum + the INZ website have lots of information and answers for clear cases. But it is very time and energy consuming to secure your application so if you are ready for that, I would try by my own if I were you. And use the 7000 NZD you will save to settle comfortably

You do need to get a work visa first due to time constraints, as JandM has stated. The cost breakdown you've outlined is a little peculiar - I'm assuming this overall fee of about $7540 includes your entire family though?

Thanks for your replies!

I've decided to go with the Immigration agent - I feel semi-confident in doing it myself, however for the peace of mind of getting it done correctly, I 'hope' it's worth it.

Yes, they have included the whole family in the process.

Thanks,
    Paul