Thread: Will I lose my permanent residency in New Zealand if I apply for. Green card in USA

Default Will I lose my permanent residency in New Zealand if I apply for. Green card in USA

Hi, we just got our New Zealand permanent residence.

We unfortunately going to the USA on a work visa (L1 and L2) as my husband was offered a job he couldn't refuse. So my question is...

Will I lose my permanent residence in NZ if we apply for permanent residence (green card) in the US?
    My plan is to come back to NZ after a couple years so I don't want to risk my NZ residency..

Any advise??

Thanks
    Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by XCrystals View Post

We unfortunately going to the USA on a work visa (L1 and L2) as my husband was offered a job he couldn't refuse. So my question is...

Will I lose my permanent residence in NZ if we apply for permanent residence (green card) in the US?
    My plan is to come back to NZ after a couple years so I don't want to risk my NZ residency..

Any advise??

Thanks
    Crystal
    In my opinion, you won't lose. Just make sure you meet the travel requirement.

Any advise??

Thanks
    Crystal
    You shouldn't loss your residency in NZ - are you a Resident? or Permanent Resident?

Once you decide to comeback - you will start to accumulate the evidence to become citizen... from scratch

[QUOTE=YessicaCBO;548545]You shouldn't loss your residency in NZ - are you a Resident? or Permanent Resident?

yes we just recently converted our residence to permanent residence.

I know I can be out the county and not lose my New Zealand PR.
    I just wasn't sure if applying for a green card (permanent residence) in USA would cancel out my NZ PR..

I know I can be out the county and not lose my New Zealand PR.
    I just wasn't sure if applying for a green card (permanent residence) in USA would cancel out my NZ PR..

PR Duration - Indefinitely https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

your process for the green card doesn't have effect in your NZ PR - is no like the USA where the green card have and expire date!

Remember I am not at expert! - I google my answer...
    Last edited by YessicaCBO; 23rd November 2016 at 11:28 AM.