Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Visitor Visa for fiance declined for "bona fide"

Default General Visitor Visa for fiance declined for "bona fide"

Hi

I am a NZ citizen and my fiance lives in Egypt. He wanted to apply for the partnership temporary work visa to come live with me in NZ but we have not lived together so we don't meet the requirements. So we applied for a general visitor visa instead and he stated the purpose as "visiting my fiance". We have attached a lot of "bone fide" evidence including:
    - Employment letter confirming leave duration
    - Contract for an apartment he owns
    - Return ticket
    - Cover letter explaining reason for visit (visiting fiance for summer) and that all his family lives in NZ and other commitments in Egypt
    I have also sponsored him for the duration of his visit.

The visa got declined at Dubai branch with the following reason (from decision letter):
    "While we acknowledge the positive aspects of your application, such as the support of an acceptable New Zealand sponsor, we still consider there to be some risk attached to approving a visa at this time.
    Our concern stems partly from the fact that you do not appear to have a proven travel history and although you have mentioned employment and other commitments to return to in Egypt it is not clear that circumstances are such that incentives for you to leave New Zealand necessarily outweigh possible incentives to remain. At this time we do also note the relative economic and security climate of the region in which you reside vs that of New Zealand.
    We cannot be satisfied based on available information that you are likely to be a "bona fide'' visitor genuinely intending a temporary stay. As a result, your application for a visa has been declined."

So it seems that their main reasons are that he doesn't have proven travel history -> he hasn't traveled before so that is why, and the economic and security climate differences -> which we cannot change.

So these didn't seem to be enough reasons to decline the application for bona fide considering what we have provided. Is there other evidence that we should have provided?
    In my application, we didn't say that we are planning to apply for partnership visa since we are still not sure, could this be why they declined it? If we are re-applying should we mention that or would that cause the application to be declined too?
    I am not sure what we did wrong so I don't know what are our options now ??

Sorry to hear you have been refused. As you say, everything mentioned is beyond your control.

Is there any chance that you could go and stay with him to get some proof of a live-in relationship?

So you don't think we should re-apply for a visitor visa and this time provide proof of partnership and say that we will be applying for a partnership visa when he comes? Would they refuse it due to the same reasons?

It will be hard to go stay with him as I know the minimum requirement for living together is 3 months and I won't be able to take that long off work.

Hi JandM, if seb112 plans to visit her fiancee, will she have to live with him for atleast 3 months? I am planning to go and live with my husband for 3 months and apply for his partnership based visitor visa . I had to come to NZ soon after the marriage so i couldnt collect enough evidence.I have applied for residence now. i will go and live with my husband once i get. what do you say?

So you don't think we should re-apply for a visitor visa and this time provide proof of partnership and say that we will be applying for a partnership visa when he comes? Would they refuse it due to the same reasons?
    They may well refuse it for different reasons as well as the same ones - a partner-sponsored visitor's visa requires the same proof of living together as does a partner-sponsored work visa. For INZ partnership IS having a proven history of living together. There are many old threads with similar stories. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...d+with+partner

This is a difficult situation for many couples. For some, it has worked to apply for a visitor's visa with a full covering letter explaining that they want to gather evidence for their partnership, but others have done the same and still been refused. There are no published criteria that make it certain what will happen in a given case. Some foreign partners have been given a limited visa, which means they have been allowed to be in NZ to collect the evidence, but then MUST leave the country, and must re-apply for the partnership visa when back in their home country.

To have the NZ half of the couple stay with their foreign partner abroad is the surest (and even then, is not certain), but yes, it does need the commitment of time, which is difficult to do while keeping your job.

Quote Originally Posted by jessi121 View Post
    Hi JandM, if seb112 plans to visit her fiancee, will she have to live with him for atleast 3 months? I am planning to go and live with my husband for 3 months and apply for his partnership based visitor visa . I had to come to NZ soon after the marriage so i couldnt collect enough evidence.I have applied for residence now. i will go and live with my husband once i get. what do you say?
    She will, and you will, to have any chance, and even then it's not certain - see my previous post. I'm sorry not to be able to be more definite and more hopeful. It's one area where INZ are VERY strict, because there are so many crooks trying to use this way to a visa, paying someone to lie for them, and ordinary decent people get caught up in the regulations.

What if I go visit him and apply for partnership work visa after 1 month (or 6 weeks) of living together, and submit a letter from my employer saying that I need to return to work after 1 month, would that be ok? Do I need to be with him while we are waiting for the visa?

I am thinking if it would be better to apply for partnership with 1 month living together than to apply for another visitor visa saying that we will be applying for partnership when he comes as it might be declined due to bona fide criteria since he won't be a visitor. What do you think?

Also would it be better if we got married, as it is known in our culture that we don't live together before marriage?

I don't have answers for all this - what will happen if... You have seen what the regulations are, and you can look at old threads on the forum to see what has happened for other people.

I am a Nigerian living in Brazil, NZ declined my visitor visa 3 times.... to cut the story short my wife (a nz citizen) left her job , family and everything (she deliberately gave up everything) to come live with me in brazil so that we can gather up proofs for 12months . We already got married here a month ago her mum , aunty and friends came from nz for the wedding. I already put her names in some of my utility bills and it comes to our home address , I have added her name to my tenancy agreement which also states the day she moved in with me , Everything I buy in the supermarket I buy on her name .... what I am saying is that if you truly love him and wants him to move with you back to nz , you gotta sacrifice at the end it will worth it . My wife came down here Jan 9th is March now almost April and it will remain just more 8/9 months to be eligible... we think 1 year is so much but time flies fast . I am not thinking of anything else about visit based on partnership or work based on partnership which requires 3months or 6 months NO . I'll rather finish it 12months minimum and prove to them that this relationship is for real . Thanks
    I met my wife 9/3/2015 online I tried several times to visit but was refused and she visited me 28/12/2015 and stayed for 2weeks within this period I engaged her , and around June 2016 I applied to visit my fiancée I got declined again and we decided to face reality she moved to me 9/01/2017 and because I am a Christian I must marry to live with a woman so I married her the next month 17/02/2017 . My friend is not easy but it will worth it . Just make sure the person you are loving really worths it .... I'm pretty sure if I don't worth it my wife wouldn't leave her paradise for brazil (hell) and if I don't worth it her family won't let her go nor even come to our wedding. Good luck to you

Hi Any update about this because I have similar situation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast