Thread: How have the recent changes to the SMC affected you?

Default How have the recent changes to the SMC affected you?

We'd like to gauge the extent to which these changes have affected people and their families - we're basically trying to evaluate the overall impact, numbers of people, etc.

- James

Hasn't affected me apart from the need to prove more work experience than I would have done otherwise.
    I suppose, being selfish, it might end up helping me by reducing any backlogs??

It impacted our application as we were in 140-160 bracket and now we have to wait with the application and we have to get another temporary visa before applying.

Also both of us have to take English exams that we wouldn't have to take before... so it's more costly as well.

Well, I logged my 155-point EoI application just right before the changes effected. It was waste of money that I've spent... Hopefully, NZI can take into consideration with your more relax conditions.

We planned our whole lives around the SMC. I came to NZ and paid for quite an expensive master program because it would give points for the SMC and also allow me and my partner to get temporary work visas in the meantime. I just finished my Master and was ready to apply with 150 points... then they changed the system.
    But in our case, we were lucky we had some extra points to get. We were not going to claim points for my husband's qualification originally... Now we need those points to get to 160. So, we just had to spend more money and wait longer to get everything sorted!

But what is sad is for the people that did the same as me, came to study in NZ thinking about the residency, spent a lot of money and time, and now don't have enough points.
    We know the change was necessary, but they could have given at least some months notice

I know that a lot of people are looking for work outside Auckland at the moment (presumably so that they can qualify for 30 points for skilled employment outside Auckland).

I also feel that I will probably leave New Zealand and move back to India after 1-2 years since bringing my parents over just became a lot harder. I'm sure there will be a massive glut of applications when INZ reopens the parent category in 2 years, and I will be at the back of the queue since I can only apply after 3 years. Probably means I'm looking at a wait of 6-7 years before I can bring my parents over, and I feel that's too long.
    Last edited by kishore5790; 28th November 2016 at 04:45 PM.