Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engineering degree and ITA - anyone come across this before?

Default Engineering degree and ITA - anyone come across this before?

Hi - hoping someone may have come across this before and can offer some advice.
    I have a UK university MEng Engineering degree, Washington accord accredited and have received my ITA. The problem I'm having is although my degree is Washington accord accredited, because it is a Masters they're not considering it an 'initial' degree - aka an undergraduate degree as specified in the requirements and want a letter from IPENZ to say it's ok (which is another cost)

Confusingly, it is my only degree - the course is a 4 year course which is why it ends up being a masters rather than a bachelors - but it is my undergraduate degree, if that makes sense.

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks

What does ur nzqa IQA exactly says?
    Tell ur complete education timeline

Am I right in thinking that you might get a Bachelors AND a Masters from this course. You would have got the bachelors after 3 years and the masters after 4??
    So maybe you have 2 certificates at least at the Uni.
    I am slightly familiar as also an engineer from the UK. But I have a bachelors only. Before 1999 this was sufficient for chartered status ( and washington accord).

Otherwise it seems a bit of a bind. I suppose you will have to go through the NZQA process maybe. Maybe some younger engineers with experience of this will see this and help.
    Last edited by squowse; 28th November 2016 at 06:51 PM.

It is just one degree certificate - as it's one continuous course with one dissertation in the final 4th year - I'm chartered through IstructE also - hoping to avoid having to pay to get the degree assessed but they're sticking to the policy by the letter due to them not considering it to be an undergraduate degree, but it was.

This is the very course as listed on the Engineering council site

FullSizeRender.jpg

well i asked you those questions to effectively solve the situation u r in
    but u didnt gave me full details
    Please reply to these questions so that i can point you out the solution

what is the occupation you applied for?
    did u do NZQA IQA or PAR, well i assume your education is exempt from assessment, if u you did assessment tell exactly the assessment outcome
    are you claiming ltssl point?
    is this without job offer?

What ever you reply is for these above questions...here is a new NZ rule not quite new but came into effect in April 2016...which you should know

all engineering degrees need to be assessed by IPENZ for claim of LTSSL points.
    One good news for you in this scenario is that because you have a Washington accord degree it will only cost you 191 NZD whereas most ppl have to pay 1175 NZD for this because of not have Washington accord accredited degree

Do you have a link for the new rule? I was unaware of this.

Last edited by damicanee; 29th November 2016 at 05:17 AM.

Sorry - I've received my ITA in relation to residency skilled migrant category, claiming points for ltssl points - no job offer, we had enough points without. The feedback they returned was
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Morribob; 29th November 2016 at 06:01 AM.

Although it is my undergraduate and only degree, they can't see it as such

Quote Originally Posted by damicanee View Post

1st link, under "Civil Engineer" it says

One of the following:
    - A Washington Accord accredited undergraduate (initial) engineering degree (listed - see Note 3)
    - A Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (NZQF Level 8)
    - A qualification at NZQF Level 7 or higher, with a letter from IPENZ certifying that the degree and any further learning meet the benchmark requirements towards Chartered Professional Engineer professional status in New Zealand
    - NZ registration as a Chartered Professional Engineer by the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand.
    Note 3 refers you to the International Engineering Alliance website where you can check if a degree is accredited under the Washington Accord

2nd link, if you click through to "Guide for Engineers" "Read the IPENZ guide"

https://www.ipenz.nz/home/footer-pag...to-new-zealand

Confirming your qualification is recognised in New Zealand

If you think you may be eligible for a skilled migrant visa, you can claim bonus eligibility points if you have qualifications in an area of absolute skills shortage.

Engineering qualifications must be equivalent to those awarded by signatories of the Washington Accord. To check if your academic qualification was awarded from an accredited engineering programme, go to the International Engineering Alliance website

Our qualification services

If your qualification was not awarded by an accredited programme, IPENZ offers qualification services to help determine if you are eligible for bonus immigration points under the Long Term Skills Shortage List.
    So I read both of those that as saying - "If you're degree isn't Washington accord accredited you will need to get it assessed by IPENZ"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast