Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Recognized Qualification

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    New Zealand

    Default Recognized Qualification

    Not sure if anyone can help with my specific case, but I'm not sure if I should contact an immigration lawyer or immigration themselves. But figured I'd try here first.

    I am currently in NZ on a 2 year sponsored work Visa, working as a Cafe manager.
    I've spent an additional year on a Working Holiday Visa before obtaining the Work Visa.

    I am interested in applying for a residence under the skilled migrant stream, and according to the points indicator on the Immigration website, I should have enough points to submit an EOI, but only after I obtain the "recognized qualification". I'm having troubles understanding what kind of course EXACTLY should I take in order for it to give me those points. Does it have to be a specific hospitality managers course? or can it just be a generalized hospitality course? does it have to be for a specific amount of time? (____ number of weeks?)

    I am willing to undertake a course in order to obtain the points, but I don't know what exactly will be recognized by immigration and I don't want to waste time and money on a course that may not cut it...

    Any help (even a referral) will be greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008


    http://skillshortages.immigration.go...aurant-manager says
    Requirements to claim points for skilled employment (Category A)

    A relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework. The qualification must correspond to the skill level indicated for that occupation in the Australian New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)
    The relevant work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification
    The relevant requirements specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) for your occupation (if your occupation is included in the LTSSL)
    Five years of relevant work experience.
    Then ANZSCO says
    Indicative Skill Level:
    Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

    In Australia:

    AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

    In New Zealand:

    NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

    At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
    So your course must be at ANZSCO level 2 or above (and ANZSCO rates qualifications with level 1 as the highest). I've just been looking at some courses on offer, and it looks as though the numbering runs the opposite way for their certificates, entering at 2 and rising to 5 and 6 for the advanced ones, so you need to ask whatever colleges you approach what ANZSCO level course it is, not what kind of certificate. And yes, I think hospitality management would be what is really specific to your job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts