Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing things,can I use carton boxes?

Default Packing things,can I use carton boxes?

Hi everyone
    Finally I am moving to NZ with my family.
    I would like to know if I can pack things in carton boxes instead of suit cases. I will check in the luggage in flight. I am not using a cargo for shipping.

Can you give me list of items prohibited in the luggage?
    I willl have old computer, DVD, utensils, knife, curry ppw etc etxc.

Thank you for your replies.

I mean curry powder etc

General prohibitions. http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

Check with your airline (online site will have it) about what is not allowed in hand luggage.

Biosecurity upon arrival. http://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-re...ms-to-declare/

Thanks Jandm.
    Hope using carton boxes are fine too

It very much depends on how sturdy the containers are. Checked in baggage gets very roughly treated, both being mechanically transferred between different conveyor belts, and slung on and off trolleys by handlers. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=youtube+airline+baggage I imagine an average cardboard box may not stand up to it very well.

It could well be cheaper to buy things in New Zealand if you are intending on exceeding your baggage allowance. It's quite expensive per kilo if you go over.

Personally I wouldn't use cardboard boxes, I don't think they wouldn't be strong enough, they may not fit the luggage size regulations and I imagine they would be very inconvenient and awkward to transport to and from the airport.

Thanks JandM
    I understand that the box must be strong
    Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It very much depends on how sturdy the containers are. Checked in baggage gets very roughly treated, both being mechanically transferred between different conveyor belts, and slung on and off trolleys by handlers. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=youtube+airline+baggage I imagine an average cardboard box may not stand up to it very well.

Thanks and I decided to buy a big suit case now
    In fact I am moving to Wellington in January. Lots of planning , and anxious too.
    I am going to ask a question as a new thread in this forum on whereabouts can I rent a house in Welly. Hope to get some replies too.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    It could well be cheaper to buy things in New Zealand if you are intending on exceeding your baggage allowance. It's quite expensive per kilo if you go over.

Personally I wouldn't use cardboard boxes, I don't think they wouldn't be strong enough, they may not fit the luggage size regulations and I imagine they would be very inconvenient and awkward to transport to and from the airport.

A bit late reply, but may be two-cent recommendation for some others.

Although I have enough suitcases, sometimes I prefer to use carton boxes for some reasons:

- By using carton box, I could save few kilos to pack additional stuff.
    - When arriving destination, I could throw the carton boxes away to save space in my new accommodation.

There is a tendency for security to open carton boxes to check the contents of items even if you declare you do not carry food items.

If you are lucky, you do not need to wait long to be inspected.

But if you are unlucky, you may need to wait quite a while. I once waited 45 mins because I carried a few food items as gifts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast