Thread: New Plymouth vs Tauranga

Default New Plymouth vs Tauranga

Hi all, we currently live in Albany, north shore. There is a big possibility that the hubby will be getting a new job where he can work remotely. So we are thinking of moving to south of Auckland. We are trying to decide between New Plymouth and Tauranga. We have a 4 year old, so will be looking at schools in the next year too. I know each area has good and not so good schools. But does anyone have young kids in either of those places? Also what are the best area with in each place? Don't want to live in the centre of a busy town/city so a more rural location is preferable, but we only have one child so needs to be near enough to activities. She does love the beach/sea. we will of course take a trip down there but any insights will be welcome. Also any recommendations for kindles and schools would be great. I have found a handful of great preschools in Tauranga's but no idea about New Plymouth.

Thanks

Tauranga.

NP is very isolated and there is limited work opportunity. We lived there for 1.5 years. There was that one job for me and when it ended that was it. Got an offer but they wanted to pay me 25% lesser. Told them NO. Y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶r̶e̶t̶ ̶N̶P̶.̶ ̶D̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶ If you're leaning towards NP, please reconsider.

Hi again Shumba,

Yes, I agree with breeze that Tauranga will be the better choice for you. New Plymouth is very much a nice city; make no mistake there. However I feel that Tauranga just outclasses it in many ways - almost everything good about New Plymouth (with the exception of its close proximity to Mount Taranaki) is also good in Tauranga, and more! New Plymouth's situation (its location relative to others in NZ) is really poor as well - it is a long way away from every other city, as well as a long list of tourist attractions etc.

As I have said, New Plymouth in and of itself is a fine place - nothing really wrong with the city itself - but its location in NZ is not the best, and Tauranga happens to also be a great place as well. I'd highly advise Tauranga over New Plymouth.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We're happy to help,
    Ansistent

Thanks - we have settled on Tauranga.