Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from from the east coast of Canada

Default Hello from from the east coast of Canada

It has been a dream of mine to live and work in NZ for many years now, had a chance 5 years ago but timing was off. Kids are grown, house paid for and not getting any younger (Me 52) I have been offered a carpenter job in Auckland with a large company and currently working through the work visa stage, this may just happen! So I am here to ask for your help on a few questions about our move to Auckland. I will be arriving March 2017 with my wife Nancy following within a month. My company will set me up for 4 weeks in a shared flat while I hunt down more permanent accommodations.
    What area of Auckland would you recommend? We like to walk neighborhoods and explore, shop local and generally feel comfortable in our surroundings. We have lived in some pretty bad city areas in the past so are not looking for upscale just safe/friendly. We tend to get out of the city on weekends and like a little outdoor space at our home for relaxation. We are hoping to keep our weekly rental costs including utilities to $450. We would need furnished at least to begin with. Transportation will be important until I can buy a used car, up 30 minute commute. What can we expect to pay for setting up utilities as non residents? Deposits needed?
    My wife would like to find a job of some sort to keep her busy, she works as an accountant's assistant but is not fussy on the job. Would she have much trouble finding employment?
    I would love to talk with a carpenter working in the area for work and tool purchasing tips. The company has told me I need to buy certain power tools and mine won't work on NZ power supply. They say this will cost $2500 but am happy to buy used.

Anyways, thanks for reading and have a fantastic day.

Gary&Nancy

Hello and welcome. Here's hoping someone will be along soon with some up to date local information for you.

Yeah, time change and all

Quote Originally Posted by lovbuds View Post
    What area of Auckland would you recommend?
    Where will you be working? Auckland is a very spread-out city and the distance between your workplace and home will make a big difference to your commute times.

I am not sure of the job site location yet and imagine there will be more then one

Hello, welcome! Yes, recommending the best area in Auckland to live with be heavily dependent on where exactly you work The city is spread out, and commuting across the city can be difficult, time consuming and expensive - so you'd ideally want to be living near to your workplace. You definitely don't want to be working in South Auckland, and commuting from the North Shore, or vice versa, for example

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We're happy to help,
    Ansistent

Hello from the west coast of Canada! We just moved from Vancouver to Auckland 2 weeks ago. We have seen lots of neighbourhood while hunting for our rental house. So far we have seen houses in Parnell, Ponsonby, Mt Eden, Epsom, Westmere, Pt Chevalier, Grey Lynn, Browns Bay, Blockhouse Bay. Expensive area like Parnell, Ponsonby have smaller houses and not much gaps between houses. So far, all the areas I have seen are pretty nice, no dodgy area and each area seem to have some small village with corner shops. If you are willing to commute 30 mins, I heard that Howick is quite nice from a local. My friend from Auckland told me to stick with North or East Auckland. I saw some beaches on the north shore, e.g. Takapuna beach and Browns Bay and they look like tropical paradise. Anyway, good luck in planning your move. I am 50 too so it is nice to live somewhere warmer!

And hello from another Canuck: I moved from Vancouver to Auckland in 2012. Am now 52, so sort of the same age when I moved.

Auckland's neighbourhoods--suburbs--are variable. The biggest drivers of costs (rental or purchase) seem to be:
    1. What school zone (some public schools are run like elite private schools, so parents pay a premium to live in that catchment area)
    2. How far it is from the CBD (central business district).
    3. Size of the land ("section") and room (square metres, just multiply x10 for approximate in feet).
    4. Parking on-site, and if the parking is in a garage, a car port, or a driveway or parking space (i.e. uncovered)
    5. Predominate economics of the suburb

There are dodgier parts, often in South Auckland and sometimes in West Auckland. We bought a house in New Windsor, which is around 10km as the tui flies from the CBD...but old school Aucklanders acted liked we'd move to the south island! We don't have kids so we focused on suburbs with OK schools but other pluses. Hence New Windsor.

Good luck!

old school Aucklanders acted liked we'd move to the south island

Thanks for the info, I am originally from Vancouver. How you finding the weather? Keep me up to date on your property hunt and lets meet up once I arrive.

-15 with a snow fall warning for today haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast