Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Moving to Wellington, looking for Car + House + Job

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    .
    Posts
    493

    Default Moving to Wellington, looking for Car + House + Job

    Dear everyone

    I am moving to Wellington in January, and would like to know about where to rent a house.
    Need to finalize a location in Welly to rent a house. Lower Hut, Upper Hut, etc.

    I also have to buy a used car, www.2cheapcars.co.nz seems to be good in Welly. Please share your experiences.


    We husband and wife need to find a job as well in health sector and Information technology too. Hope to meet some recruiters in person while in Welly.
    Our daughter is 3 and need to start her early schooling as well.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Scotland to Wellington
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    For houses to rent: trademe.co.nz

    For jobs: seek.co.nz

    For your daughter, I would wait until you get there and rent a house/apartment so you can look at places in person.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
    Dear everyone

    I am moving to Wellington in January, and would like to know about where to rent a house.
    Need to finalize a location in Welly to rent a house. Lower Hut, Upper Hut, etc.

    I also have to buy a used car, www.2cheapcars.co.nz seems to be good in Welly. Please share your experiences.


    We husband and wife need to find a job as well in health sector and Information technology too. Hope to meet some recruiters in person while in Welly.
    Our daughter is 3 and need to start her early schooling as well.

    Thank you!

    Where are you moving from?
    I admire your leap of faith to arrive without a job and such!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    .
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Thank you for the reply. Great tip for the schooling.

    Do you know of any famous/preferred residential locations where people usually rent house? wherein schools, hospitals, supermarkets etc. are available close by.
    Or should I avoid any places in Wellington to rent a house?
    For now, we would be staying for 8 days in an Airbnb apartment in Chartwell Drive , Wellington.
    I hope in 8 days, we would find a suitable rental house
    I was wondering if a week is enough to find a rented house in Welly.
    During the meantime, I also need to buy a used car too.
    Any insights would is appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    For houses to rent: trademe.co.nz

    For jobs: seek.co.nz

    For your daughter, I would wait until you get there and rent a house/apartment so you can look at places in person.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Great tip for the schooling.

    Do you know of any famous/preferred residential locations where people usually rent house? wherein schools, hospitals, supermarkets etc. are available close by.
    Or should I avoid any places in Wellington to rent a house?
    For now, we would be staying for 8 days in an Airbnb apartment in Chartwell Drive , Wellington.
    I hope in 8 days, we would find a suitable rental house
    I was wondering if a week is enough to find a rented house in Welly.
    During the meantime, I also need to buy a used car too.
    Any insights would is appreciated.
    I would think that a week to find a suitable house in Wellington is very optimistic....., the market is pretty tight there. You need to make yourself familiar with the city, and no one can do that for you.
    Just my opinion.

    I have to throw that in here- you have received a resident visa without a job offer, so obviously INZ was of the opinion that your chances of finding a job are good.., but from your questions it doesn't sound like you have done a lot of research. Sorry if that is a wrong impression, but posting on here 'I need a job, a house, childcare for my child- where do I find all that' just sounds a bit lazy to me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    .
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Thanks for your reply.
    Does that mean there are No many houses available for rent?

    Coming to this forum is part of the research. Initially it was a different city in NZ , but recently e decided to move to Welly. So any input regarding settling in Wellington is welcome.

    FYI, If one is lazy , he would never get a resident visa.

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I would think that a week to find a suitable house in Wellington is very optimistic....., the market is pretty tight there. You need to make yourself familiar with the city, and no one can do that for you.
    Just my opinion.

    I have to throw that in here- you have received a resident visa without a job offer, so obviously INZ was of the opinion that your chances of finding a job are good.., but from your questions it doesn't sound like you have done a lot of research. Sorry if that is a wrong impression, but posting on here 'I need a job, a house, childcare for my child- where do I find all that' just sounds a bit lazy to me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    Does that mean there are No many houses available for rent?

    Coming to this forum is part of the research. Initially it was a different city in NZ , but recently e decided to move to Welly. So any input regarding settling in Wellington is welcome.

    FYI, If one is lazy , he would never get a resident visa.

    Thanks
    As far as I know there aren't that many houses for rent, no.... You are competing with a lot of other people. It might all depend on how much you can/ want to spend on rent, though.
    I find one week very tight- but I might be completely wrong

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    .
    Posts
    493

    Default

    I look forward to hear some valuable inputs from others

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Hi Farfaraway... Congratulations on your impending move.

    We live in Wellington and moved recently (July 2016) from India to Welly. From my experience,

    • Renting: Please allocate at least 2 weeks (or 3 is better) for this. You may get extremely lucky and find your rental on day 1 or with in a week. But having a few more days of hotel sorted out is such a relief. As you are traveling with a small kid, you may not have the luxury of going and seeing rentals all the time. We booked hotels / friends houses for first 3 weeks and moved to our rental from there. One more thing to keep in mind: even if you a sign a rental, you may not be able to move in immediately (as the land lord may want to do some cleanup or paint indoors etc.) Usually rental agreement process takes up a few days as they need to run credit checks etc. When finalizing a place to live, do check out the house thoroughly. As you are arriving in Summer, all houses will seem warm, but believe me, come winter, you will feel the COLD. So ask questions about insulation, double glazing, heating options. Also make sure the house gets decent sun (again in summer most houses get sun, but in winter only houses with plenty of windows on north get sun).
    • Localities to live: This depends on where you may find work and what you consider to be ideal. If you don't plan to drive, try to look for a rental in CBD area. You may be able to find a decent apartment there, but prepare to pay more for rentals closer to CBD. There are many fine suburbs in north or south or lower hutt that are a short commute away from CBD. I suggest starting your search with Johnsonville, Churton Park, Khandallah, Miramar or nearby areas.
    • Cars: There are many car lots (especially in Lower Hutt and Porirua). If you a have some local friends, ask them to go with you for car shopping. Take a few test drives and once you shortlist the car, get it thoroughly checked by a local mechanic (pre purchase inspections usually cost $90 or so) and then buy it. It may take 1-2 days to get all this done.
    • Jobs: No advice on this front as I am self-employed. But prepare to spend 1-6 months to find suitable job. I know personally many people who took as much time to land a job. As you are coming in Jan, most companies may not have their recruiting sorted out (they are still in holiday snooze mode). I am not trying to scare you or anything, just setting the expectation.
    • Schooling: You may want to decide this after you find rental and one of you get a job. No need to rush.


    Relax and enjoy. You will be coming in summer, best times to visit Welly. So set aside to explore the beautiful parks and attractions the city has to offer. All the best.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Scotland to Wellington
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    You don't have to limit yourself to Wellington CBD if you don't have a car, there is a good bus system so you can live much further away. Perfectly possible to get into town easily from places like Miramar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •