Thread: Chartered Accountant / Accounting Technician

Default Chartered Accountant / Accounting Technician

Hello everyone,

This is my very first post in this forum, so please bear with me .

I am a Filipino currently in NZ studying to meet the academic requirements to be eligible for membership in the Accounting Technician college of Chartered Accountants Australia New Zealand (professional body). I have just completed one semester and have another year to go. I have a BS Accountancy degree in the Philippines so this study program is a natural course for me.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone here who's in the same situation as me. I am currently on student visa and I want to know the prospects of getting an employment after I completed my study. Apart form completing the academic requirements, I also need to accumulate 2-years of mentored work experience to get the full membership, does that make me eligible to apply for work visa?

Obviously, my goal is to work here long term or get a residency, although I think the latter is impossible given that accounting is not in any of the shortage list. I'm also at a stage where I'm very much open to hit the reset button in my career and study a qualification that's in the long-term skills shortage list (LTSSL). Would that put me at a greater advantage rather than continuing on the accounting path?

Any comment/advice is certainly welcome.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Decroe View Post
    Hello everyone,

This is my very first post in this forum, so please bear with me .

I am a Filipino currently in NZ studying to meet the academic requirements to be eligible for membership in the Accounting Technician college of Chartered Accountants Australia New Zealand (professional body). I have just completed one semester and have another year to go. I have a BS Accountancy degree in the Philippines so this study program is a natural course for me.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone here who's in the same situation as me. I am currently on student visa and I want to know the prospects of getting an employment after I completed my study. Apart form completing the academic requirements, I also need to accumulate 2-years of mentored work experience to get the full membership, does that make me eligible to apply for work visa?

Obviously, my goal is to work here long term or get a residency, although I think the latter is impossible given that accounting is not in any of the shortage list. I'm also at a stage where I'm very much open to hit the reset button in my career and study a qualification that's in the long-term skills shortage list (LTSSL). Would that put me at a greater advantage rather than continuing on the accounting path?

Any comment/advice is certainly welcome.

Thank you!
    Hi Decroe,

You can get AT Membership on the basis of your Philippines study as well. You have to provide transcript and course content to the NZICA and then pay the fees.

However, please make sure here you study CA papers here in NZ. You can get the list of papers for your universities/college from NZICA.

I am an AT provisional member and working towards to gain Associate membership. I recently got 3 years work visa (employer assisted) on the basis of NZICA and CPA membership.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Hi Cric. I'm in the same situation with Dec roe. And I use my bachelor degree in my country to apply for CA but they said they just can consider my degree to be assessed as an AT. So can I ask how can to become a CA from AT? And how long does it take to become qualifies AT please. Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica201 View Post
    Hi Cric. I'm in the same situation with Dec roe. And I use my bachelor degree in my country to apply for CA but they said they just can consider my degree to be assessed as an AT. So can I ask how can to become a CA from AT? And how long does it take to become qualifies AT please. Thank you so much
    Hi Jessica

Here is the link which will give you more details ; https://www.charteredaccountantsanz....red-accountant

AT requires years full time work experience and you can work for any employer to gain AT membership. Refer this link https://www.charteredaccountantsanz....ing-technician