Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Security Check

Default National Security Check

New to forum but hope to get some advice. Submitted residence application through Residence from Work category. Currently on Talent Accredited Employer work visa. Since i am already in NZ over 2 years now, i wonder why NSC check is still required? Frustrating thing is that the application is now pending NSC. Read elsewhere in the forum that this can be a long process thats takes up to years. Anything to share noting that I am not on SMC and apparently residence from work is suppose to be quicker - 3 months on inz website.

There are many immigration questions of the 'why?' sort to which we have no answer. It boils down to this - if you want a visa and INZ says jump, you jump.

Did you have to go through the NSC process when you originally got your WTR visa?

Hi JandM. Agree on inz ask u to jump, u jump.
    No. Both my partner and myself did not have to go through NSC for the WTR. In fact I got my WTR in a week through inz HK which impresses me. What is more interesting is that me and my partner comes from what i call "stable" commonwealth countries and we have to go through NSC and a Colleague of mine from a politically less stable country didn't have to!!! Makes me wonder what the trigger criteria for NSC is? Guess can only sit around and wait with holiday season round the corner, an even longer wait. Just concerned that it takes soooo long and my current work visa runs out.

The trigger appears to be (since it's never made publicly known officially) that someone has citizenship of, or has worked in, any country that has, or has had, a repressive regime which infringes human rights, or apparent links with terrorism.

Yeah. I suspect my trigger is living in HK, probably now seen as part of China unfortunately.

Do they then check every countries that you have lived in? I have lived, worked and studied in 5 different countries so I guess it is gonna takes ages if all 5 countries are contacted!!!

Is national security check applicable for each country? If not, is there any list of countries which suppose to check NSC.
    thanks
    Bunty

No list of countries. Apparently i was told it is too difficult to list the countries. It seems like a random pick to me, depending on who you get. My experience is that its an awful experience, trying to remember your life story to the day from secondary education onwards. The bottomless timeframe to carry out the check is even more scary. For me now, just have to continie to wait patiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Elc View Post
    Do they then check every countries that you have lived in? I have lived, worked and studied in 5 different countries so I guess it is gonna takes ages if all 5 countries are contacted!!!
    I think they only contact the countries that are 'suspect'. What they are after is reassurance that the applicant never worked in any position where they were personally responsible for or involved in the suspect activities.

Hope that it is as you described JandM and they get over the check asap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast