Thread: Need electricity in Auckland

Default Need electricity in Auckland

We just arrived at Auckland 2 weeks ago and are going to move into our rental house in 2 weeks. Just want some recommendations on which electricity companies I can choose from. I never have a choice to choose from different electricity suppliers (I moved from Vancouver and can only use BC Hydro) so not sure what I should look for when choosing a power company. Thanks.

You could find out the current supplier, and stick with them short term (month to month). Then you can investigate the differences... that's what we did and ended up sticking with said provider (across 3 houses).

and be in for a big shock on how expensive electricity prices are in NZ. You'll miss your BC Hydro bill.

Oh gawd how I miss BC Hydro. When I left Vancouver in 2012 my monthly hydro bill was $25-28 a month. Renting a similar sized apartment in Auckland, with near identical usage patterns I paid on average $100 a month. Ouch!

Since arriving I've been with PowerShop, Genesis and now Ecotricity. Very little difference across them, but Genesis still generates with carbon and Ecotricity doesn't--so I don't mind paying a tiny bit more to be green. We're now in a 90m 3 bedroom house and our bills run $150-160 a month. In the summer it drops a fair bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland2016 View Post
    We just arrived at Auckland 2 weeks ago and are going to move into our rental house in 2 weeks. Just want some recommendations on which electricity companies I can choose from. I never have a choice to choose from different electricity suppliers (I moved from Vancouver and can only use BC Hydro) so not sure what I should look for when choosing a power company. Thanks.

Just signed up with Energy Online, no contract so easy to switch later. Hope the insulation and heat pump in our rental place help to save some electricity bill!