Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Los Angeles to Nelson, can anyone recommend a shipping company?

Default Moving from Los Angeles to Nelson, can anyone recommend a shipping company?

I need to ship around 200-500 sq ft of belonging from Los Angeles to Christchurch or Nelson at the end of August or beginning of September. Can anyone recommend a good company, or is anyone interested in sharing a container? I just got a quote for $13/ sq ft from a moving company and am feeling a bit discouraged as I have a limited budget. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also asking for quotes, but my stuffs will go from a different place.
    Have you tried AGS?
    Don't forget that furnitures in NZ are quiet expensive, at least for what I'm used to.

I'm setting up to move from Florida. I agree with Nelson81 . . . bring a few nice pieces of furniture and a spare mattress. Those things are awfully expensive in NZ. A full container is so much simpler than a partial. Seems to me that every time I share a container through an agent, some things go missing. And at $13/sq foot you're going to find a 20' container isn't a whole lot more expensive than a partial load. I'm upping it to a 40' container to accommodate my old Chevy ute, a ride on mower, and a whole lot of non-electronic tools. Considering bringing an 120W inverter so I can set up solar system that will run some of my electric toys as well.

You are bringing your car? Aren't there very limited circumstances where you can drive it on the "wrong side of the road?"

Quote Originally Posted by tk1 View Post
    You are bringing your car? Aren't there very limited circumstances where you can drive it on the "wrong side of the road?"
    From what I've heard, Cars are ok if older than 20 years. NZ is pretty strict about condition . . . rust, frame modifications or damage, etc. My ute is 1990, un-modified, and virtually rust free, so I think it will be ok.

I'm getting quotes for a 20 ft container from San Francisco, CA to Christchurch, NZ.
    I got quotes today from Blue Horizon Shipping Inc. and RSS, LLC. www.rssllc.net.
    Has anyone had experience or heard of these companies?
    I wish I could remember which companies we used the other times we have shipped but I can't even find the paperwork from our previous moves.
    When we left NZ we used a company called Grace. They were excellent. I'm going to give them a call and see what they recommend on the US side.

Quote Originally Posted by sandgrubber View Post
    From what I've heard, Cars are ok if older than 20 years. NZ is pretty strict about condition . . . rust, frame modifications or damage, etc. My ute is 1990, un-modified, and virtually rust free, so I think it will be ok.
    https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/im...-from-the-usa/

I'm at the point of getting quotes now, too - let me know what you figure out! We will HOPEFULLY be doing California to Nelson as well, but need to store our stuff in California until we have an address to ship to.

Thumbs up

We are going with UPakWeShip moving from USA to Christchurch. Used them on our prior move to NZ back in 2012 and had good results. Hopefully their great service carries through this time as well. Using door to door, self load option. 20ft container.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    We are going with UPakWeShip moving from USA to Christchurch. Used them on our prior move to NZ back in 2012 and had good results. Hopefully their great service carries through this time as well. Using door to door, self load option. 20ft container.
    Nice, that sounds like a great money saver! I am looking for full service myself, my husband had spinal surgery this spring and I can't do it all :-P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast