Thread: Do employers ever cover immigration expenses after accepting a job offer?

Default Do employers ever cover immigration expenses after accepting a job offer?

I was wondering if anyone has had any relocation expenses covered or reimbursed by the employer who extended them a job offer in NZ? What kind of expenses? e.g. shipping container costs? What about any of the fees paid to INZ or NZQA? (I can dream, right?)

It has been heard of, but it's very rare, and has only happened for people who have an unusual skill-set which makes the employer really keen to get their services.

Thanks! Makes sense...

Usually moving expenses are part of the job offer package (along with salary, benefits, etc). Or you would receive a job offer, and counter with an expected offer that includes those expenses covered (or partially covered).

If you accepted the job without it, there's no reason for them to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
    Usually moving expenses are part of the job offer package (along with salary, benefits, etc). Or you would receive a job offer, and counter with an expected offer that includes those expenses covered (or partially covered).

If you accepted the job without it, there's no reason for them to pay for it.
    I agree. We had everything paid for (removals, visas etc) but that is expected in that field. You can only ask, and potential employers can say yes or no. You will never know unless you ask though.

@girlwithanewf Nice! Did you come to NZ first for interviews? Was your stuff already all packed up in a shipping container at that point, or did you arrange all that after the job offer?

You're all right, doesn't hurt to ask, just wanted to make sure it wasn't completely out of the ordinary to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    @girlwithanewf Nice! Did you come to NZ first for interviews? Was your stuff already all packed up in a shipping container at that point, or did you arrange all that after the job offer?

You're all right, doesn't hurt to ask, just wanted to make sure it wasn't completely out of the ordinary to do so.
    It went like this: apply for job, fly-out to NZ for interview, job offer, apply for visa, sell house, pack everything up and leave etc.
    If you work in a field in which employers advertise globally, then yes, relocation expenses could be normal. If not, then employers may not expect the question!

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has had any relocation expenses covered or reimbursed by the employer who extended them a job offer in NZ? What kind of expenses? e.g. shipping container costs? What about any of the fees paid to INZ or NZQA? (I can dream, right?)

It really depends of the company - In my case I pay for my visa and relocation...

Thanks guys, that all makes sense ;-)
    girlwithanewf, thanks for the simple step-by-step. That's about our level of planning right now, what with the holidays upon us lol!