Thread: How to rent a place being a new immigrant - Christchurch

Default How to rent a place being a new immigrant - Christchurch

Hi! Guys! We have got the NZ Resident visa & planning to move into Christchurch in July 2017.
    How to find the house in city center area for long term from off shore?
    or we have to rent hostel/hotel for short term and have a look from there to move into longterm.
    Give some suggestion to us so that we can workout from there.

or we have to rent hostel/hotel for short term and have a look from there to move into longterm.
    That's the safest way to do it. The first point is that many landlords and agencies just won't deal with someone who is not in the country. The second is that, when entering into a long-term contract, you need to have checked a place FOR YOURSELF. Apart from requirements that you can tell someone else and ask them to check for you, such as access to transport links, number of bedrooms, etc., we all have an inbuilt feeling of "THIS is my sort of place" or "I couldn't settle here," and you cannot activate that from a distance. Even if your most trusted friend was looking at properties for you, that feeling could be different for him/her than for you, and you wouldn't want to be tied into a contract for somewhere that you instinctively disliked.

Quote Originally Posted by sathiya View Post
    Hi! Guys! We have got the NZ Resident visa & planning to move into Christchurch in July 2017.
    How to find the house in city center area for long term from off shore?
    Give some suggestion to us so that we can workout from there.
    If you're a single guy or a couple, do consider Airbnb for a temporary stay first (probably 2 to 4 weeks) while searching for a long term rental.

That's what I did...

When we moved to ChCh in 2006 we stayed at a Holiday Park in Belfast where we rented a 2 BR cabin with kitchenette and private bathroom for only $80 a week. There was a larger shared kitchen across the yard. It was the middle of winter and we had the heat going full blast, and there was no extra charge for utilities. That being said, I doubt you can find that low a price now, but it may be worth looking into alternative accomodation ideas...such as a holiday park.

Thanks a lot guys for your response