Thread: Your suggestions regarding employer/manager references

Default Your suggestions regarding employer/manager references

Hi everyone

I will be moving very soon to NZ, and would like to hear your suggestions regarding getting employer references etc in order to seek jobs.

I am still doing job search from outside NZ currently.

For some reasons, I do not want to get or give my direct line manager as my reference( I am in IT).

Can I give contacts of my business users/customers in other departments who are managers and are directly working with me? I have plenty of people ( managers are non managers ) who are willing to write a reference for me.

Are employers asking for references of managers who managed me(direct line managers)? or can it be my colleagues with whom I worked directly?

I can get a reference letter from my HR too.

Please share your thoughts and experiences on this topic.
    So that before I leave the company, I can do the ground work and to talk to specific people who can support me with a reference.

Thank you.

There isn't a set of rules on this. I think you can choose whomever you trust to give you a good reference. Have them all, if you like. You could get them to give you testimonials (a "to whom it may concern" letter, that you keep in your possession and can send copies of with applications), and get agreement from some who know your work best that you may give their names/details as referees, that potential employers can contact and ask whatever questions they like about you.

Thank you JandM for these tips.
    I will rightaway start contacting people who can be a reference for me.