Thread: Main in original passport with residency application?

Default Main in original passport with residency application?

Hi all,

I'm just about ready to send in a residency application. I followed the personalised document checklist provided by the INZ, but I'm a bit confused about whether to send in original passport(s). For all other documents, the instructions say "an original or certified copy for each person included in the application". However, for the passport, it says "valid original passport". Does this mean they want an original passport, but only for the principal applicant? This seems to contradict what I found in other threads on this board. I tried to clarify this with INZ by email, and their reply was essentially "please follow the checklist provided". Any suggestions? I certainly don't want my passport to be stuck somewhere for months if it can be avoided.

EOI Submitted on 25-Oct-2016
    EOI Selected on 26-Oct-2016
    ITA Received on 15-Nov-2016

I've never sent an original passport with any residence application, certified copy only.

Just received this from INZ:

The original passport of each applicant included in the resident visa application is required.
    The passports will normally be returned within 2-4 weeks.
    Immigration New Zealand offices are closed from 24 December 2016 to 03 January 2017 and no processing takes place during this period.