Thread: Driving with learner licence

Default Driving with learner licence

Hi,

My friend got pulled over and got fined by police, because she only has learner driving licence (and driving by herself). Does it affect her application to Permanent Residency/Citizenship?

Thanks!

Hard to say, but it does show that your friend does not have a particularly high regard for the laws of the land that she wants to become a resident or even citizen of. Driving without a proper license is a serious offence and one that puts the public at large in danger. TO be honest, I hope INZ take behaviour like this into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ung.Ning View Post
    Hi,

My friend got pulled over and got fined by police, because she only has learner driving licence (and driving by herself). Does it affect her application to Permanent Residency/Citizenship?

Thanks!
    Once again the most minor of occurrences.Not an arrest, not a charge, not a conviction, just a paid infringement, in the same class as a parking ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by chapwithatui View Post
    Hard to say, but it does show that your friend does not have a particularly high regard for the laws of the land that she wants to become a resident or even citizen of. Driving without a proper license is a serious offence and one that puts the public at large in danger. TO be honest, I hope INZ take behaviour like this into consideration.
    I think that's a drastic over statement of what's involved.

Drastic overstatement? All you need for a learner's license is a passed theory test. For all you and I know she probably can't drive safely at all. If an unqualified (other than having read the Highway Code) driver drives across New Zealand, that is no different to getting a parking fine? Never mind eh, she'll be right.

It is just an infringement not conviction. Dont worry about that. I used to have an infringement before but I still got my residency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica201 View Post
    It is just an infringement not conviction. Dont worry about that. I used to have an infringement before but I still got my residency.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Well said!
    Are you condoning driving without a license because it is 'just an infringement'? How are you on stopping at red lights? Optional, no biggie or advisable in the face of a pending residency application?

Quote Originally Posted by chapwithatui View Post
    Are you condoning driving without a license because it is 'just an infringement'? How are you on stopping at red lights? Optional, no biggie or advisable in the face of a pending residency application?
    Unlike you I'm not making any judgements at all.

I'm simply stating what the publicaly available information says, that driver unaccompanied on a learners licence is an minor infringement, in the same class as a parking ticket ( as is failing to stop at a red traffic signal) .

If something more serious had happened,and perhaps a crash involved, or someone endangered, then the charges might have been more serious such as careless driving, which is a traffic offence, or if it was driving where someone was killed, a crime, such as manslaughter.

Infringements are not offences , or crimes, and in doing so trying to point the original poster in the direction of available information, with out overstating the consequences.

INZ are required to deal with facts, not opinions or assumptions, when considering an application.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 27th December 2016 at 12:27 PM.