Thread: First entry before 18 April 2017, Expiry date travel: See condition. Please help to clarify

Default First entry before 18 April 2017, Expiry date travel: See condition. Please help to clarify

Dear everyone

I would like to understand this better as I may have to be outside NZ for about 6 months more after my first entry into NZ.

On my visa label, it is given First entry before 18 April 2017

I know that in order to apply for NZ PR, I have to be in NZ for 184 days.

An Example of the scenario: I entered NZ on 1st Jan 2017; then between 1st Jan 2017 AND 31st Dec 2017, I must stay in NZ for 184 days, and this 184 days need not to be in consecutive days. Those 184 days can be spread across those 12 months.

Again, I must follow the above rule from 1st Jan 2018 to 31st Dec 2018 (stay in NZ for 184 days... either consecutive or non-consecutive days )

Could you please see if my understanding is correct?

What happens if one does not stay in NZ for 184 days each in the first year and he stays for 184 days in the second year?
    Can he full this 184 days in the third year and then apply for PR?

If you can post any links of the same topic here , that would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Last edited by farfaraway; 24th December 2016 at 12:44 AM.

You aren't understanding the requirement exactly correctly. See posts #2 and #4 on this thread, which spell it out. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49987

Thank you JandM, very helpful. I read through this link.

So, my now my understanding is that RV allows me to live and work in NZ indefinitely as long as I'm in NZ. But I must convert to PRV in order to get rid of those two years+184 days conditions, and to be able to travel multiple times without restrictions.

Also, there is no urgency for one with RV to apply for PR immediately after completing 2 years in NZ. I can apply for PR any time when I have stayed 184 days in each of the immediate consecutive previous years from the date of PR application.

I would like to understand it a bit more with an example.

An example of how INZ would treat my PR application:
    I am in NZ. My first entry to NZ was on 15 August 2017.
    Later by 2020, I decided to apply for PR on 1st Jan 2020, then INZ will count the days backwards to see if I stayed in NZ for 184 days between:
    >> 1 Jan 2019 and 31 Dec 2019 = Yes I stayed 184 days
    >> 1 Jan 2018 and 31 Dec 2018 = Yes I stayed 184 days
    >> 15 Aug 2017 and 31 Dec 2017 = INZ does not take into account the number of days stayed in NZ during this period

So, yes I qualify for PR.

Could you please see if this example is correct? Sorry for the repeated questions
    I just wanted to be 100% sure of this.

That's absolutely correct.

Notice, though, that your two years' travel conditions would run out on 15 August, 2019, so you would not have the right to re-enter NZ without formalities if for some reason you left the country after that date, and before you had qualified for and applied for PR.

There is a further possibility that could cover you for that time if you needed to leave and return - you could apply for a Variation of Travel Conditions. See here. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...vel-conditions

Thank you a ton JandM.
    It is now very clear to me. Hope this post helps someone else in the same boat.
    Really appreciate it. As always said, this forum and it's wealth of information is a blessing for NZ immigrants.

Lots of calculations and addition/subtractions happening these days to help settle my family smoothly in NZ
    Partner will start in NZ on 15th January 2017 as she is into health care, and may be able to find a job and settle down before me, then I and daughter would join her at a later time.
    I understand that since I am the principal RV holder, I must fulfill travel conditions.

Due to my current employment commitments, my actual plan is now as follows:
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Step 1) I and partner Enter NZ on 15th January 2017 for the first time. Then only I leave NZ on 30th January 2017.

Step 2) I and daughter go to NZ on 15th March 2017, and I and daughter leave NZ on 30th March 2017. This is because daughter has to enter NZ
    before 18th April 2017 ( this is her last date to enter NZ and activate the RV, and it is the same for all of us).

Step 3) I and daughter go to NZ permanently on 15 August 2017, and stay until we can apply for PR.

Step 4) On 15th January 2019, my travel conditions would run out. So, I am not eligible to re-enter NZ without being a PR or Variation of Travel Conditions.

Step 5) Apply for PR on 15th August 2019. By this time, I would have stayed 184 days each of the two preceding years.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I hope this plan works out well. Could you please see if this sounds good?

I'm crossing fingers
    Last edited by farfaraway; 24th December 2016 at 05:22 PM.

I can't see any problems with that scenario at all. As I said before, if any of you need to leave and re-enter NZ in the time after your travel conditions run out and before you have PR, you could apply for a Variation of Travel Conditions, which by that time you would be eligible for. But there is no need to do that if you don't want/need to.

Thank you a lot JandM.
    I am so glad to see that the plan is workable.
    I will keep you updated about my progress.