Thread: importing food items - shipping

Default importing food items - shipping

We're preparing a shipment to NZ ahead of our arrival. Apologies as I should be more informed as I write this, but so busy with the moving day on the 26th. I know this should have been written about before.

Wondering about people's experiences sending food items in a shipment - ie. cargo, not when passing through airports - along with household items.

Do you think things like this would be okay?: rice, canned/bottled goods (things for cooking), powdered or ground spices?

If you have experience, what did you do? Exclude anything like this, or perhaps pack it in one particular box and declare it. How did things turn out?

Not looking to sneak things in, and I think that food is either very iffy or a no-no, but would still hope to include some things that might be hard to get/expensive there, and not have this cause trouble, delays, time and expense.

Dear me, and then there's the matter of through away/leaving some of our furniture and other long-kept things because they're rattan or cane or wicker or wood which might be considered 'untreated'

Do you think things like this would be okay?: rice, canned/bottled goods (things for cooking), powdered or ground spices?
    Commercially prepared and labelled, and very well sealed.

perhaps pack it in one particular box and declare it.
    Yes, anything you have the idea they will want to inspect should be kept all together, well labelled, and preferable packed near the door (if it's a container). You can get charged per parcel needing to be inspected, and for time.

About your wood, rattan, etc., items, you could try bringing them, having inspected them and cleaned them very thoroughly, so there's no hint of any cobwebs or dust that might contain insect eggs or seeds. If bio-security have any issues with such things (and it won't necessarily happen), they will usually offer to fumigate them, at a cost. It can be worth it for your feelings of attachment to such items.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Commercially prepared and labelled, and very well sealed. ... Yes, anything you have the idea they will want to inspect should be kept all together, well labelled, and preferable packed near the door (if it's a container). You can get charged per parcel needing to be inspected, and for time.
    Good advice, I think. Thanks. I was imagining the same, but have been worried if things need to be inspected - and even if I have nothing noteworthy on my packing list this could also happen - what the inspection charges are. Has anyone had experience with this? What were you charged if, possible, per box?

Trying to weigh up the pros and cons of not including things that would require inspection vs including them and taking our chances. Perhaps even if you have nothing that requires inspection, people are charged for inspection if they still want to open things up for some random checking. In that case it might also ease things if you clearly include some items that will be inspected, and that those things are well prepared, and so that might create a better image of the receiver and shipment, and this could help get things through with less fuss, time and expense.

Do not do it. You may delay your arrival significantly. Asian food items are available big time! Not worth the trouble! I talk from experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Lazysnapper View Post
    Do not do it. You may delay your arrival significantly. Asian food items are available big time! Not worth the trouble! I talk from experience!
    Yeah, didn't do it in the end. Excluded all food items and also all wicker/ratan/cane/carved-type-wooden things. Let's hope things go smoothly on arrival...