Thread: Resident Visa - Points - Advice please

Arrow Resident Visa - Points - Advice please

Hi All,

I have 14+ years of experience in C++/VC++/C#/WPF (Analyst Programmer - 261311) and I did Bachelors & Masters in Computer Science

As per NZQA-IQA report, NZQA is unable to compare your Bachelor of Science to any of the qualifications on the Long Term Skill Shortage List as there is insufficient content in computer science for your qualification.

Please go through the below points break up list and let me know the procedure/options to claims the bonus points for LTSSL?

As per LTSS list - http://skillshortages.immigration.go...rtage-list.pdf I am eligible for to claim the bonus points

-> Age ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 25
    -> Qualification (Msc - Computers - Levl 9-/ Bsc computers - Levl 7 /---------- 60 (If selected Msc computers then I can claim 60 points)
    -> ***********absolute skills shortage------------------------------------------- 10 ? (Can I claim this? how ? )
    -> Work Experience 6+ as (261311-Analyst Programmer)----------------------- 30
    -> ************absolute skills shortage-LTSSL bonus points------------------- 15 ? (Can I claim this? how ? )
    -> Spouse (Btech Engineering - level 7 + English + Zero Experience ) -------- 20
    -> -----------------------------------------------------------Total Points -----------160
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lakshmana1980; 25th December 2016 at 01:29 AM.

Since your NZQA result is General and NOT specific, you cannot claim points for Shortage Skill.

Example: General : Bachelor in Science

Specific: Bachelor in Science (Computer Science)

In order to claim these points, one need to ensure that the NZQA results maps exactly with the degree name listed in the list of LTSSL.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ2016 View Post
    Since your NZQA result is General and NOT specific, you cannot claim points for Shortage Skill.

Example: General : Bachelor in Science

Specific: Bachelor in Science (Computer Science)

In order to claim these points, one need to ensure that the NZQA results maps exactly with the degree name listed in the list of LTSSL.
    In relation to the above, please see the regulations here. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30595.htm Detailed regulations about all points are available here. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...anual/6954.htm

PLEASE REMEMBER, if you are referring to Immigration regulations, you need to find a link to support the information you are giving. Unless you do this, you are giving information advice, which ordinary members of the public are not allowed to do by NZ law - see the thread here http://onlineservices.immigration.go...anual/6954.htm from when the law was introduced - and the ENZ forum is not allowed to display it.

As per New Proposed SMC Points System 2017 (http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-service...t-category.pdf ),
    Looks like I am going to get 160 points, I am curiously waiting for this change update as early as possible

-> Age -----(20-39)---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30
    -> Qualification (Msc - Computers - Levl 9-/ ------------------------------------------ 70
    -> Work Experience 10+ as (261311-Analyst Programmer)----------------------- 50
    -> Spouse (Btech Engineering - level 7 + English + Zero Experience ) ------- 10
    -> -----------------------------------------------------------Total Points --------------------160

As per new proposed SMC point system(https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...quirements.pdf) I will get 160 points.

I don't have Job offer and outside NZ. So I will only get Job Search visa and not SMC visa?

Your comment please?

-> Age -----(20-39)---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30
    -> Qualification (Msc - Computers - Levl 9-/ ------------------------------------------------- 70
    -> Work Experience 10+ as (261311-Analyst Programmer)--------------------------------- 50
    -> Spouse (Btech Engineering - level 7 + English + Zero Experience ) -------------------- 10
    -> -----------------------------------------------------------Total Points ----------------------160

All applicants who meet the health, character, English and selection point requirements, but do not have either skilled employment or a higher degree gained in New Zealand will be invited to apply for a ‘job search visa’ to enable them to find ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand.
    There will be greater flexibility for offshore applicants to travel to New Zealand within the 12 month validity of their ‘job search visa’.

You will get, if your application is processed and approved, an SMC Job Search Visa in the first place, which gives the right to go to NZ and get a skilled job. When you then go to INZ with proof of being employed in a skilled job, then the Residence visa which is waiting for you will be granted (with no further formalities other than checking that the job is indeed skilled, and that the employer is in good standing financially and from the point of view of keeping NZ employment law), together with Residence for any other family members who were on your original application.

Anyone who doesn't manage to get a skilled job within the life of the SMC JSV would then have to leave, and that application would have come to nothing. They would still have the right to start again with another application under SMC.

Hi JandM,

Thanks for the reply. I am outside the NZ and doing the Job search in NZ. Most of the companies are not willing to sponsor the work visa to me.

Suppose if I apply for SMC on 28th August then how long it will take to get the Job search visa? (approximate minimum duration time frame)

If I have the Job search visa, then how companies will consider my case from their perspective? i.e. Just they have to give Job to me or they also have to sponsor the work-visa to me?

Suppose if I apply for SMC on 28th August then how long it will take to get the Job search visa? (approximate minimum duration time frame)
    There is no way to tell. INZ have not done any residence applications under SMC with these rules before. Also, there has been a gap when NOBODY could submit an EOI, so probably there will be a lot of applications going in on 28th August. We just have to wait and see how it works out.

If I have the Job search visa, then how companies will consider my case from their perspective? i.e. Just they have to give Job to me or they also have to sponsor the work-visa to me?
    Like I said above, when you then go to INZ with proof of being employed in a skilled job, then the Residence visa which is waiting for you will be granted (with no further formalities other than checking that the job is indeed skilled, and that the employer is in good standing financially and from the point of view of keeping NZ employment law), together with Residence for any other family members who were on your original application. The SMC JSV gives a person the right to be employed in any job they are offered, so you won't need any other visa while waiting.

Make sure that the degree you have is recognised by NZQA...we made the mistake of putting down (on the form) a PhD from the Uni of Cape Town - however the PhD from that institution is not recognised by NZQA BUT a masters degree from the same institution is. We found the list of recognised degrees by institutions here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35171.htm

Also you need the english test..do it before the EOI

Our 1st EOI was rejected due to lack of proof of English (despite English being our home language and degrees are in Englsih)
    Last edited by Rogerb; 20th August 2017 at 02:52 AM.